Question

Why are FME Server file geodatabase read speeds slower than Desktop?

• 8 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I have a workspace that reads a database table (no geometry) from a file geodatabase from an on-premise subnet server location. When running the workspace from a Desktop VDI, I get read speeds of ~10K every minute or so. When running the same workspace on Server, I am getting speeds of ~10K records every 6 minutes. I tested to see if the location of the FGDB was the issue by uploading the FGDB as a server resource which resulted in the same slow reading speed. In my experience, Server has always been much faster than Desktop. Has anyone come across this issue?

Desktop 

Server 

3 replies

Userlevel 4

My first hunch is that the machine running FME Server might be underdimensioned or struggling. Check for memory and processor usage in particular. Also see if there are other long-running processes or services on the same server that are competing for resources.

Badge +3

My first hunch is that the machine running FME Server might be underdimensioned or struggling. Check for memory and processor usage in particular. Also see if there are other long-running processes or services on the same server that are competing for resources.

I checked the performance statistics while running the workspace and nothing jumped out at me. Here is a snapshot of the resources while running the workspace.

ServerResourceMonitor

Badge +3

It appears that the slow reading times were due to a WHERE clause with an IN statement isearching through a very large SELECT statement in a different table. I refined the WHERE clause and reading speeds are back to normal.