Question

SDE Spatial/Attribute Index Flagging through FME

• 6 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi! This is a general question re: what's possible with FME's SDE capabilities.

We have some automated processes whose SDE readers take in large amounts of data, and they take a hit whenever they encounter corrupted or missing indexes.

We are considering setting up some 'helper' processes to examine the indexes separately before the data is read in the main workflow. I know, for example, that there's ArcPy methods such as ListIndexes that can be used to check some of their properties for any given feature.

I'm wondering if FME can natively do something similar and without, say, calling ArcPy through a PythonCaller? Are there any exposable parameters or validation tools (or does anyone have an approach) that could be used to examine the SDE's spatial and attribute indexes and flag problematic ones?

Thanks!

2 replies

Badge +2

@rinfante_coc​ FME doesn't have inbuilt tools to manage Geodatabase (ArcSDE) indexes. You would have to call the ArcPy tools with either PythonCaller (before a FeatureReader) or using Startup Python Script

Ok, that's kind of what I had gleaned but I appreciate the confirmation. Thanks Mark!