Question

Trying to run different workspaces at different times within one Automation

• 4 October 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +8

I'm trying to use Automations to process two different workspaces at different times using related data. Specifically, the first workspace should begin at 9 pm, process a number of input files, and write enriched data to a different set of files in a shared folder. The second workspace should begin at midnight, and process the files created by the first workspace. I'm using a writer set to "FME Automations" to create a list of files from the first workspace that can be processed by the second workspace within the same Automation. That part works fine, but I don't want the second workspace to start before midnight. Should I be able to accomplish this within a single Automation?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @pmcpherson​,

This is definitely possible with automations! You can set the Trigger to "Schedule Initiated" and set it to your desired time. You can set the Start date to the time you want it to run at every day, and then set the schedule to Repeat Every 1 Days. So have two separate triggers in your automation. One set to trigger the 9pm workspace, and then one set to trigger the midnight workspace. As for your files, you can have the first workspace write them out to a folder/repository in FME Server that your second workspace then reads from.

If you are getting confused with FME Server Resources/Folders, I recommend reading this article: https://community.safe.com/s/article/fme-server-resources-uploading-referencing-and-con-1