Question

Coordinate reprojection of NZTM to WGS84

• 4 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi Community,

I am trying Attribute reprojection transformer in FME to convert New Zealand Transverse Mercator Projection (NZTM) coordinates into WorldGeodetgic System 1984 (G1762) as per the attachment. However it is not showing my location of interest in my GIS software.

Any suggestion on this.

Regards,

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

OK two things here.

The AttributeReprojector only reprojects the attributes, not the geometry itself. If you want to reproject the Geoemtry use a CSMapReprojector or just the normal Reprojector.

The next thing is that NZTM is a coordinate system which is in Meters but the attribute names indicate latitude and longitude. Can you double check that the values inside those attributes are in metres.

Badge

OK two things here.

The AttributeReprojector only reprojects the attributes, not the geometry itself. If you want to reproject the Geoemtry use a CSMapReprojector or just the normal Reprojector.

The next thing is that NZTM is a coordinate system which is in Meters but the attribute names indicate latitude and longitude. Can you double check that the values inside those attributes are in metres.

Hi @virtualcitymatt​ 

Thanks for asking for clarification on this and sorry for the confusion here...so answers to your questions:

1) Yes I want to reproject attributes and not the entire geometry

2) Sorry for the confusion on name of X-Attribute and Y-Attribute as Longitude and Latitude ... however the intension here is to store converted NZTM co-ordinates into WGS94 format as an output...so it is just the way names have been selected for the output attributes but the values in those columns are in NZTM and are in metres.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi @virtualcitymatt​ 

Thanks for asking for clarification on this and sorry for the confusion here...so answers to your questions:

2) Sorry for the confusion on name of X-Attribute and Y-Attribute as Longitude and Latitude ... however the intension here is to store converted NZTM co-ordinates into WGS94 format as an output...so it is just the way names have been selected for the output attributes but the values in those columns are in NZTM and are in metres.

ok, thanks for clarifying, are you able to see if the reprojeciton on the attributes has worked? you can check by inspecting the data directly after the transformer, or you can add a logger transformer and look in the log file.

If you can see the correct data in the inspector or the logger then we can say that the problem is happening during the output.

If Latitude_LO and Longitude_LO are newly created (or renamed) attributes you should check the writers output feature type to see if the attributes are defined. Here's some more info on that.

http://docs.safe.com/fme/2017.1/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/Workbench/Understanding_Schema.htm

What's the output format?

Badge

Hi @virtualcitymatt​ 

Hi @virtualcitymatt,

Thanks for your reply on this. Yes I can visualize output of of reprojected attributes...but they are not looking correct.

Please see my pptx file for my reason...and asking for your valuable suggestion.