Question

how could i readers in workspace then output of reader will feed in another workspace ?

• 30 September 2021
  • 6 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +13

i have big workspace and i would like to devide it to two workspaces so i want to put readers , inputs at first workspace then connect them to the second workspace .

readers oracle spatial and non spatial

How could i achieve that ?

thanks in advance

FME 2018

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @gogopotter90​ 

I believe that you can try to use the transformer WorkspaceRunner.

Thanks in Advance,

Danilo

Badge +13

Hi @gogopotter90​ 

I believe that you can try to use the transformer WorkspaceRunner.

Thanks in Advance,

Danilo

i could not find good article that help me , could you provide me a link or explain a little bit how could i use it ? i did not understand correctly from documentation .thanks for help

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

If I understand you correctly you want to split up the reading and processing (and potentally writing) into separate workspaces. Unfortunately that's not quite how FME works. Every workspace will have to start with reading data.

There might be options that are worth considering, for example if you want to process chunks of data in different ways, in that case you could use a WorkspaceRunner, as @danilo_fme​ suggests, but you'll still have the extra overhead of an extra cycle of writing and reading data.

If it's just purely for ease-of-use of the workspace you can put various parts in bookmarks and collapse those.

If you can tell us a bit more about what you're trying to do we may be able to give you some more specific advice.

Badge +13

If I understand you correctly you want to split up the reading and processing (and potentally writing) into separate workspaces. Unfortunately that's not quite how FME works. Every workspace will have to start with reading data.

There might be options that are worth considering, for example if you want to process chunks of data in different ways, in that case you could use a WorkspaceRunner, as @danilo_fme​ suggests, but you'll still have the extra overhead of an extra cycle of writing and reading data.

If it's just purely for ease-of-use of the workspace you can put various parts in bookmarks and collapse those.

If you can tell us a bit more about what you're trying to do we may be able to give you some more specific advice.

Thanks for explaining me more , so i do not need WorkspaceRunner transformer .

i have very big workspace ,it is really slow when i let it to work with cache to continue work on it ,and sometimes after 1 hour ,i got message error running translation and it stopped and sometimes works great .

so i was thinking that my problem ,may be because of big workspace ,so i thought i wanted to deivde it to two workspaces better than only one .

where should i look for that causes error running translation ?

i have read in some articles that i should use FME Debug but i could not find the reason for the message error running transaltion .

Do you have any suggesitons for me ?

FME 2018

Thanks for help and reply .

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

i have very big workspace ,it is really slow when i let it to work with cache to continue work on it ,and sometimes after 1 hour ,i got message error running translation and it stopped and sometimes works great .

so i was thinking that my problem ,may be because of big workspace ,so i thought i wanted to deivde it to two workspaces better than only one .

i have read in some articles that i should use FME Debug but i could not find the reason for the message error running transaltion .

FME 2018

Best recommendation is to use the feature chaching only when you're developing the workspace, never in production as it introduces a lot of overhead in terms of memory usage and temporary files.

What you can do is put parts of your workspace in bookmarks and then collapse the bookmarks, that way it won't cache any of the ports that are inside the bookmark.

Upgrading to FME 2021 may be a good idea too, there's been some pretty big improvements i the past few years when it comes to performance.

Badge +13

FME 2018

thanks for ur recommendation but i collapsed the bookmarks and the processing still slow when i am developing the workspace and sometimes i get error translation afte waiting 45 min or sth like that . but i will keep trying and thanks alot ofr reply