Solved

Table/Feature class name too long

• 30 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +16
  • Contributor
  • 1425 replies

Hi,

I am trying to IMPORT an EXISTING relationship feature class and FME complains about the name being too long....I cannot rename the Relationship feature class since it is a part of an existing data model.

The table/feature class name 'WaterstaatswerkWaterkering_Waterkering' is too long for Oracle (!!??) to accept. Please shorten the name and try again

I think this is a FME limitation that should apply if you are going to CREATE the table, but should not apply if the table/relationship feature class already exists!

Anybody any thoughts/ ideas on how to go about this?

icon

Best answer by itay 26 October 2021, 15:52

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

There does appear to be a max table name length of 30 characters in Oracle, or 40 characters for a logical table name stored within an entry table, so it might be that that limitation is maintained somewhere within FME.

Badge +16

There does appear to be a max table name length of 30 characters in Oracle, or 40 characters for a logical table name stored within an entry table, so it might be that that limitation is maintained somewhere within FME.

Hi @Hans van der Maarel​ , That is exactly my point, but this does not make any sense if you are trying to insert data into an existing relationship feature class and not create it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Hi @Hans van der Maarel​ , That is exactly my point, but this does not make any sense if you are trying to insert data into an existing relationship feature class and not create it.

Oh, I agree. It appears there is a limitation in there somewhere that shouldn't be there.

Badge +16

Yes that is the case. I have had a look at this issue with the DBA and since Oracle 19c is used this should not be an issue, since this version of Oracle allows for 128 charachters, somehow FME does not respect that or defaults to previous versions.

I defntly think somebody from Safe should chime in...@mark2atsafe​ , @steveatsafe​ ?

Badge +11

Hi @itay​ Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'll look into the issue and update you here.

Badge +11

Hi @itay​ Can you confirm the version of FME you are using? You may need to upgrade to a newer version. Also, consider the Oracle Client version you are using as well. I'm on 19.3 Instant Client on macOS.

I've tested this in. 2021.0 - 2021.2 (beta) and had no issues. I was able to write to a table called

"WATERSTAATSWERKWATERKERING_WATERKERING" or "WaterstaatswerkWaterkering_Waterkering".

[edit] I've also tested with 2020.2 & ArcGIS Desktop 10.7 with Geodatabase on Oracle and had no issue as well (use existing|truncate|create if needed). I was using Oracle Instant Client v19.6 on Windows OS for this test.

There's a good chance this was addressed when we added the new Oracle Autonomous format.

Badge +16

Hi @steveatsafe​ ,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this issue, is it possible to continue this as a support case? ( I dont think sharing client information and data should take place on the community pages)

Badge +11

Hi @itay​ Please submit a case via www.safe.com/support (Submit a Case). Feel free to address me in the case or include the link to this question.

Thanks.

Badge +16

@steveatsafe​  done! > C663864