Question

ChangeDetector updating a change to geometry when there is none.

• 27 September 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I have the following. Reading an XML file then assigning its geometry and an SDE connection.

When the comparison happens with the change detector it keeps repeating an update. Even though the geometry hasn't changed.

The output of the change detector list:

2021-09-27 09_27_17-_MULTI → GEODATABASE_SDE (C__Users_kschultz_Documents_FME_Workspaces_FireStep4.f 

both are empty no spaces/tabs or anything of that nature. I can't even find where to set geometryObject or remove it. fme_geometry appears to be correct.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Do I understand correctly you want to check changes between SDE an another source?

As far as I know SDE snaps the geometry to a grid. So when you have floating point coordinates from another source, the geometry will always differ, because the geometry changed when it was written to SDE.

You can check this by comparing 2 'identical' geometries from the different sources in the Data Inspector, looking at the coordinates, switching from one to the other. I bet the geometry is not 100% identical. This is what the ChangeDetector, detects.

In 2019 the ArcSDEGridSnapper existed, which helped to simulate this behavior. This could help with situations like this. Put it in the XML stream, before the ChangeDetector, to simulate the snap action. Not sure why it does not exist anymore in 2021, but I added a 2021 workspace with the 2019 transformer in it.