Solved

ESRI license on FME server. What and Where ?

• 22 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone, I have a licensing question and I find the online documentation not so clear on that topic. 

I need to use an ESRI SDE writer on FME server. It is not clear to me what I need to install on my FME Server to make it work. What Kind of license do I need (ArcGIS pro standard, advanced, ArcGIS server, ...). Do I need to have the heavy client installed on the machine or an ESRI license server is enough ? And where do I need to install it (on the core machine, on each engine,…) ? The FME Server is a 2020.0.0.1 Build 20202 - win64. 

Thanks for your support.

icon

Best answer by richardatsafe 27 September 2021, 18:09

View original

3 replies

Badge +10

Hi @lde​ 

In order to use the ESRI license required for the GEODATABASE_SDE you need ArcGIS Enterprise installed and licensed on the same machine as your FME Server. Please see Using FME Server with ESRI ArcGIS Software for more details.

As far as the licensing level goes the Required ArcGIS license type article should cover it.

The Notes On FME And ESRI article will give you a background on what is required for ESRI formats in relation to your applications/bit versions.

Lastly, on FME Server, it's just the engine machine that requires the license. So please install the ArcGIS application on any machine which will have an engine running Geodatabase SDE jobs on it.

Hi @lde​ 

In order to use the ESRI license required for the GEODATABASE_SDE you need ArcGIS Enterprise installed and licensed on the same machine as your FME Server. Please see Using FME Server with ESRI ArcGIS Software for more details.

As far as the licensing level goes the Required ArcGIS license type article should cover it.

The Notes On FME And ESRI article will give you a background on what is required for ESRI formats in relation to your applications/bit versions.

Lastly, on FME Server, it's just the engine machine that requires the license. So please install the ArcGIS application on any machine which will have an engine running Geodatabase SDE jobs on it.

Many Thanks @richardatsafe​, That's what I needed 🙂

Badge +10

Hi all,

From September 2021 Esri has changed their licensing policy for use of Esri products on FME Server.

I found the article a few months ago and as far as I know it's only available the Dutch Esri site

https://www.esri.nl/nl-nl/nieuws/2021/fme-server-in-een-web-gis-architectuur-en-esri-licenties

English version:

September 13, 2021

FME Server in a Web GIS architecture and Esri licenses

It is important for all partners working on customer implementations of FME Server in a Web GIS environment that there are new policies regarding the implementation pattern. You can find more information in this article.

Various options are available to implement FME Server at customers. And each option depends on the one hand on what the customer has in mind to do and on the other which ArcGIS licenses are available/needed by that customer.

In general, the advice is not to deploy FME Server and ArcGIS Enterprise on the same machine. It is therefore advisable to implement this in separate environments.

This article is specifically about those cases where FME Server and ArcGIS Enterprise are deployed on separate environments, but the customer also wants to use FME Server to write data to an Enterprise Geodatabase. In fact, a full ArcGIS Enterprise must then be placed on the FME Server, in order to make the correct ArcGIS components available to be able to write to the geodatabase.

Therefore, a new implementation pattern is available for those cases. The basic principle is that only server software may be used on a server. Esri Nederland now has ArcGIS GIS Server Basic for FME Server available for this.

A few features:

ArcGIS GIS Server Basic for FME Server is offered as a subscription only with a term per year

Subscription price per machine and a special price for this specific purpose

Subscription may only be used for this purpose

Annual indexation

More information and details are available from Esri Nederland (+31 (0)10 217 07 00 or contact@esri.nl)

Install ArcGIS GIS Server On the FME Server-server and your available license level (Basic, Standard etc.) and place the keycodes license file in

C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ESRI\\License10.9\\sysgen

C:\\Program Files\\ESRI\\License10.9\\sysgen

Hope this helps, at least it did for our customers

Krien Guijt

Vicrea Solutions