Question

How can I import the correct the locations for CAD annotations?

• 20 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I am reading in a complex CAD file from our engineering team. The DGN has multiple reference files, but the only information I need is the annotation layer. Specifically, the callout boxes and the leading arrows. When I read in the DGN as a Microstation v8 file in FME Data Inspector, the callout boxes are shifted in the wrong spot and the arrows are missing. Any ideas of what could be wrong and how to fix it?

5 replies

Badge +20

Please provide a sample.

I'm more of a Autodesk than a Bentley user but a lot of attributes are common (but named different).

Basically you have to check some parameters and expose a few attributes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

@mark2atsafe​ I seem to recall an old knowledge base article that listed all of the differences in text reference points between various CAD formats, do you have any idea where that went? I think it could be useful here.

Badge

Here is the file I am a reading in.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

@mark2atsafe​ I seem to recall an old knowledge base article that listed all of the differences in text reference points between various CAD formats, do you have any idea where that went? I think it could be useful here.

Is this the one?

https://community.safe.com/s/article/text-justification

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

It's probably - as @Hans van der Maarel​ suggests - a problem with the origin point. FME uses the bottom left corner of the text as the origin, but MicroStation can use any number of different origin points. FME generally ignores the MicroStation justification, but applies it when it writes back out. So as long as you write back then it will appear in the correct place.

If you want to see the "proper" position inside FME, then you need to usually move the text. You'd use transformers to calculate what the correct coordinates would be for the bottom left, and move the text to there. For example, find the bounding box, extract its coordinates and apply them to the MicroStation coordinates.

This article should help: https://community.safe.com/s/article/text-justification