Question

Allowed to drop but not create table across databases in arcgis

• 16 September 2021
  • 5 replies

I have a workspace writes data from one ArcGIS database to another. I used the drop and create option on tthe table

I get the error , [DDL operations are not allowed across database boundaries.]}

My question is how can ArcGIS allow you to drop a table but not create it again? This was very inconvenient. Is there anyway to stop FME from droping the table if it does not have the permission to create a new table?

Best regards,

Kicki M

My error message:

Geodatabase Writer: Dropping table/feature class `DBO.GVF_GEOM_TMP'

Geodatabase Writer: Creating feature class `DBO.GVF_GEOM_TMP' in feature dataset 'gdbhmag.DBO.hmag'

An error occurred while attempting to create the feature class 'DBO.GVF_GEOM_TMP'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147220989'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The operation is not supported by this implementation. [DDL operations are not allowed across database boundaries.]}

GEODATABASE_SDE writer: A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @krimar​ , Terribly sorry you experienced this! If you don't have permissions to create tables, unfortunately, this will be unavoidable when using "Drop and Create". As an alternative, I can suggest "Use Existing" or "Truncate Existing" for your table handling mode. "Use Existing" will use the existing table structure/schema and data, while "Truncate Existing" will use the same or existing schema and just rewrite the data. Either should work! Please let me know if this works for you, or if you are still having writing issues? Happy to help, Kailin.

Badge

Hello @krimar​ , Terribly sorry you experienced this! If you don't have permissions to create tables, unfortunately, this will be unavoidable when using "Drop and Create". As an alternative, I can suggest "Use Existing" or "Truncate Existing" for your table handling mode. "Use Existing" will use the existing table structure/schema and data, while "Truncate Existing" will use the same or existing schema and just rewrite the data. Either should work! Please let me know if this works for you, or if you are still having writing issues? Happy to help, Kailin.

Having the same issue. I have permissions to create tables/GIS datasets with the .sde connection file when I'm in ArcGIS Pro so why would it fail with FME?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Having the same issue. I have permissions to create tables/GIS datasets with the .sde connection file when I'm in ArcGIS Pro so why would it fail with FME?

Hello @ryancknox​, thanks for reaching out! Are you able to share a logfile or full error message? It may also be helpful to know the version of FME Form and ArcGIS Pro you have installed? Happy to help, Kailin.

Badge

Hello back @kailinatsafe​ ! FME Data Interoperability FME(R) 2022.2.1.0 (20221202 - Build 22776 - WIN64) and ArcGIS Pro 3.1.3. I was successful running the writer as insert and truncate existing but I needed to create the GIS layer outside FME. I'm having trouble writing any new feature class to our enterprise (SDE) GDBs with FME. It's the same error above:

An error occurred while attempting to create the feature class 'ANR_ADMIN.WaterWetlands_WetlandAdvisoryLayerTest'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147220989'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {The operation is not supported by this implementation. [DDL operations are not allowed across database boundaries.]}

Again .sde connection file definitely has permission to write. Thanks for getting back to me.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @ryancknox​, sorry for the late response, I was OoO for the last bit! I have created a support case for us to investigate your issue further, I will reach out via email shortly! Happy to help, Kailin.