Question

Unable to add ArcSDE writer (ArcFM Data)

• 15 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Below software were installed...

ArcMap & Arc Catalogue 10.8 with ArcFM 10.8.1

ArcGIS Pro 2.8

64Bit Background Geoprocessing tools

FME 64Bit 2021.1.2 Build 21627

Data has been restored using SQL Server 2016 in server and I tried to add the writer using ArcSDE Geodb in client workstation. After selecting the writer format and entering all the required parameters and last by selecting the feature class name, neither writer is added nor error is prompted in FME environment.

On the other end, I'm able to add feature class in ArcMap and add features but I'm not able to add feature class in ArcGIS Pro.

Can someone suggest what is missing in my process...

Thank you

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

I request any one from Safe to guide me in this aspect.

Thank you

Badge +8

Hi @pratap​ 

For ArcFM reading writing, please follow the following articles

https://community.safe.com/s/article/reading-arcfm-geodatabase-data-using-fme

https://community.safe.com/s/article/using-fme-to-write-to-arcfm-geodatabases

For issues reading data in ArcGIS Pro, you will have to contact Esri or Schneider Electric's

For ArcGIS Desktop, you will need the plugin from Schneider Electric installed on the FME Desktop machine. Hope this helps

Badge +2

Thanks @rahulsharma​ ​ 

I have gone thru the link provided and performed all the steps as mentioned but no success.

I have downloaded and installed the pythonwin and added in python start-up script but FME 32Bit still says license is not initialized and FME 64Bit is not adding writer and not providing any error too...

In my understanding, license cannot be initialized just by adding the python script in start-up because python script will not be executed. Python script will execute when translation is initiated but we have to add writer to execute the translation 🙂

Could you kindly let me know which version (32Bit or 64Bit) have capability to write into ArcFM GDB when data is present in SQL server express 2016 (which is 64Bit)?

Shall I have to use ArcSDE reader\\writer or any other reader\\writer?

Thanks again, I appreciate your efforts for providing help in this regard...

Pratap

Badge +8

Hi @pratap​ 

Given that you are using FME 2021. x, the instruction from the article is a bit out of date.

Can you verify that you have set the Python Compatability to "Esri ArcGIS Desktop 27"?

you can access this setting in Navigator Windows --> Workspace Parameter --> Scripting --> Python Compatibility

In my understanding, license cannot be initialized just by adding the python script in start-up because python script will not be executed. Python script will execute when translation is initiated but we have to add writer to execute the translation

Yes, you have to use Arc SDE geodatabase writer to write the data.

Could you kindly let me know which version (32Bit or 64Bit) have the capability to write into ArcFM GDB when data is present in SQL server express 2016 (which is 64Bit)?

If you are using 32bit FME Desktop, that should be fine, but if you want to use 64bit FME (you will need to install 64bit Background Geoprocessing for ArcGIS). SQL Server architecture is not important as FME is connecting to ArcSDE, if you can connect to the geodatabase in ArcGIS, FME would be able to connect.