Question

Buffer certain sides of a polygon

• 15 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

I would like to buffer certain sides of a polygon. My polygon as in the image below and I would like to buffer them in the direction of arrows.

How can I do it with FME?

5rZZvlhZGb

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

That's an Interesting problem - do you know the vectors/directions of these arrows?

how do you pick which side not to buffer?

Off the top of my head you could offset the original polygon in each direction (with an Offsetter) to get a total of four polygons (3 offset polygons and the the original). Then you could dissolve them with a Dissolver to get one polygon. This method requires you to know the directions of the arrows.

Badge +3

do the arrow and text overlapped with polygon segments?

Badge +1

That's an Interesting problem - do you know the vectors/directions of these arrows?

how do you pick which side not to buffer?

Off the top of my head you could offset the original polygon in each direction (with an Offsetter) to get a total of four polygons (3 offset polygons and the the original). Then you could dissolve them with a Dissolver to get one polygon. This method requires you to know the directions of the arrows.

I dont know the direction of the arrows

Badge +1

do the arrow and text overlapped with polygon segments?

I have only the polygon without an arrow and the text I have made it so that it is more understandable what my problem is.

Badge +20

Is there any criteria that the sides have to meet to be buffered? The orientation or length of lines? Maybe they have to be facing something or eliminate the side that is not?

Hi I have a similar challenge - I have polygons of trees and want to create buffers on the windward side (western in this case). Is there a way to do this with a FME bufferer?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi I have a similar challenge - I have polygons of trees and want to create buffers on the windward side (western in this case). Is there a way to do this with a FME bufferer?

Hi @dseverino​ Your first problem is to determine how the west side is defined. Maybe you could reduce the polygon to points with a Chopper and then offset (Offsetter) the entire feature by a negative value for x? Use a HullAccumulator to get the new shape or to find which points from the East side were moved are now in the interior of the new polygon?

Hi @dseverino​ Your first problem is to determine how the west side is defined. Maybe you could reduce the polygon to points with a Chopper and then offset (Offsetter) the entire feature by a negative value for x? Use a HullAccumulator to get the new shape or to find which points from the East side were moved are now in the interior of the new polygon?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!