Solved

PostGIS vaccum and analyze.

• 11 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +16
  • Contributor
  • 1425 replies

Hi there.

I was wondering which type of parameter is used when enableing vaccum analyze tabel in a Postgis writer feature type (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-vacuum.html) . Is it a FULL vacuum? all I see in the logfile is: Vacuuming and analyzing table ....

Any tips on how to query that information from the database?

Thanks in advance.

Itay

icon

Best answer by danminneyatsaf 17 September 2021, 19:19

View original

8 replies

Badge +21

Can you see the SQL on the Postgresql side by examining running queries while running the workspace @itay​ 

Badge +16

Can you see the SQL on the Postgresql side by examining running queries while running the workspace @itay​ 

Hi @Sigbjørn Herstad​ thanks for the tip, still seeing only VACUUM ANALYZE so I guess this is just plain vaccum.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Hi @Sigbjørn Herstad​ thanks for the tip, still seeing only VACUUM ANALYZE so I guess this is just plain vaccum.

Hi @itay​, I believe you are correct. The vacuum option in the PostGIS writer is a VACUUM ANALYZE.

Badge +16

Hi @danminneyatsaf​, Thanks for confirming this. I have been trying to use the vacuun freeze analyze option via an SQL statement but the database keep complaining that it cannot be carried out in a transaction.

So I tried using:

begin;

VACUUM FREEZE ANALYZE my_table;

end;

But still no joy and ideas on that?

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@itay​ I see some documentation mentioning that Postgresql 9.0+ should be formatted as: VACUUM(FREEZE) [tablename]. This may or may not help for your scenario but I just wanted to put that out there.

Additionally, are you able to share the message you are getting back from the database when trying to carry out the transaction?

Badge +16

Yes the message is: ERROR: VACUUM cannot run inside a transaction block

For the following SQL (with or without parenthesis) :

FME_SQL_DELIMITER ;

BEGIN;

VACUUM FREEZE ANALYZE srv_demo.ns_bijlagen;

COMMIT;

END;

If I run:

COMMIT;

VACUUM FREEZE ANALYZE srv_demo.ns_bijlagen;

via DBeaver it works just fine.

Trying it via de SQLExecutor results in the following error:

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

@itay​ 

I was able to run the SQL in "SQL to Run Before Read" on the Reader. However I know you're trying to use this on the writer, so I'm not sure if this works for your scenario. Either way let me know if this helps at all. 😀

Postgresql-vacuum-freeze-example 

Additionally, I was curious which version of Postgresql you are running? This probably isn't causing the issue but is useful to know anyways.

Badge +16

Hi @danminneyatsaf​ ,

Thanks for the tip, I have added the SQL statement in the SQL to Run After Writing in the Feature Writers I am using. Not much sense doing it on a table without data in it :)

Problem solved👍