Question

Web App to georeference pdfs/TIFFs?

• 10 September 2021
  • 1 reply

We receive quite a lot of pdfs of some CAD plans that we are manually georeferencing in ArcGIS Pro. The CAD plans do exist in dxf/dwg too, but mostly a) not georeferenced and b) in a layer structure that's a total mess with no way to automate something here. So we just provide locally georeferenced pdf plans as converted TIFFs.

Georeferencing here works by visually selecting some GCPs on some ortho imagery (so it's not 100% accurate) to match them with features on the pdf plan (or TIFF at this point). Is there any way to do this also in FME - and not just locally in the workbench, but as a web app on FME server? Basically there needs to be some steps involved:

1. upload pdf and convert to tiff (should be doable)
  2. have an option that places the tiff at the current map canvas (show a map in the app that can also consume own WMS/WMTS services)
  3. have an option to create point pairs: first pick on the basemap, second pick on tiff
  4. once you have at least 3 or 4 point pairs --> have an option to process the tiff to rectify the image
  5. download the rectified tiff

I guess that's too complex to build just with FME tools...probably needs to be something entirely custom - but asking doesn't hurt if there is a possible shortcut somewhere.

Thanks!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The front-end would require custom development, specifically for step 3 (I would imagine that being 2 side-by-side map windows and a list of selected coordinate pairs underneath). I know Bert Spaan has been doing some of that work for allmaps.org and they have a GitHub repository.

A totally different approach would be to supply properly georeferenced CAD files as a base map to the contractors. Even if they mess it up and lose the georeferencing you can match it to the bounding box