Question

SMTP Email Sometimes Doesn't Sent

• 7 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Has anyone experienced SMTP email simply not being sent using either the Emailer Transformer or the FME Server Automation Email External Action? I've had each of these things happen to me once, but the same Workspace or Automation run in most instances does send the email. The log file from a sent and not-sent email looks almost identical to me, I've attached both. These are workspace runs with the Emailer Transformer sending the email. I've asked our IT department if they can look into anything, but they can't say much since SMTP is just a relay. Also the fact that it works correctly most of the time makes it difficult to troubleshoot much further.

Any thoughts or things to look into would be helpful.

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Be worth checking some of the server logs at the time you tried to send the email(s) these should give a bit more information on the problem

Badge +2

Be worth checking some of the server logs at the time you tried to send the email(s) these should give a bit more information on the problem

Thanks @hkingsbury​ . I looked at the fmeserver.log and fmeprocessmonitornengine.log logs and don't see any glaring differences between job 2066 (did not send email) and job 2068 (did send email) nor around those times, though maybe I'm missing something. I'm attaching excerpts from both logs in one file (for some reason I can't seem to attach multiple files to this reply) - does anything look suspect? Or are there other logs I should be looking at?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Thanks @hkingsbury​ . I looked at the fmeserver.log and fmeprocessmonitornengine.log logs and don't see any glaring differences between job 2066 (did not send email) and job 2068 (did send email) nor around those times, though maybe I'm missing something. I'm attaching excerpts from both logs in one file (for some reason I can't seem to attach multiple files to this reply) - does anything look suspect? Or are there other logs I should be looking at?

Thanks

Also take a look at the email.log under subscribers

Screenshot 2021-09-13 114657

Badge +2

Thanks

Interestingly, this log doesn't show either event from September 2. It doesn't have any entries after August 16, but there's definitely been other emails sent since then, even besides the two I've been talking about. And the fmesubscribers.log shows these two entries below which line up to the times the first and second workspaces were run; the first run was unsuccessful and the second run was successful.

Thu-02-Sep-2021 04:59:29.771 PM  INFORM  RequestHandler-Thread  401831 : Accepted new client connection from /127.0.0.1 on port 7072

Thu-02-Sep-2021 05:57:10.298 PM  INFORM  RequestHandler-Thread  401831 : Accepted new client connection from /127.0.0.1 on port 7072

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again