Solved

CenterlineReplacer misses some geometry

• 5 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

Hello,

I am trying to generate centerlines from IFMEDonuts/Polygons derived from CAD floor plans. The majority of these lines are fine, but there are a handful of instances where it ignores the shape of the polygon or creates an anomaly.

I understand that it does not bring the line all the way to the bounds of the polygon (maybe a setting in the next version? hint hint). This might account for a few of these issues, but not all.

Here are a few screenshots with problem areas circled in blue:

CtrlineIssueCtrlineIssue1Any ideas?

UPDATE: I was able to resolve a few of them by Intersector, Chopper, HorizontalAngleCalculator, Rounder, then TestFilter any lines not orthogonal. I also used the SmartCleaner to extend, join lines against the polygon, then Smartcleaner again on just the centerlines, but set Extend to 0 and Overshoot to 6. This cleaned up most of the anomalies, but the areas ignored by the centerline and others remain.

CtrlineIssue2 

Ultimately, I think CenterlineReplacer needs an update, but any workarounds in the meantime are welcome.

Thanks,

@larue​ 

icon

Best answer by muzhnasto 8 September 2021, 13:25

View original

4 replies

Badge +11

Hi, try to use the Dissolver and remove the extra points before the CenterlineReplacer, this can remove some of the errors. You can also try using Buffer with a negative value ( also before CenterlineReplacer )

Badge +5

Hi @muzhnasto​ ,

The Dissolver didn't seem to do anything, but the Bufferer was very helpful. The Bufferer settings give different results depending on what type of end Cap and Corner Style, some better than others. If you have any suggestions for what settings should theoretically work best, that would be great. Otherwise, I will play with it and report back.

Thanks!

@larue​ 

Badge +5

Hi @muzhnasto​ ,

The Dissolver didn't seem to do anything, but the Bufferer was very helpful. The Bufferer settings give different results depending on what type of end Cap and Corner Style, some better than others. If you have any suggestions for what settings should theoretically work best, that would be great. Otherwise, I will play with it and report back.

Thanks!

@larue​ 

Looks like the following works best, for me at least:

• Buffer Distance: -0.001
  • End Cap Style: Doesn't seem to matter
  • Corner Style: Round
  • Interpolation angle: 22.5 Nothing else worked for me.
  • Buffer mode: Precise
Badge +11

Looks like the following works best, for me at least:

• Buffer Distance: -0.001
  • End Cap Style: Doesn't seem to matter
  • Corner Style: Round
  • Interpolation angle: 22.5 Nothing else worked for me.
  • Buffer mode: Precise

Hi @larue​ 

lay out an example of the data, if there is time, I will try to think in more detail ¯\\_(ツ)_/¯