Question

What's Up Wednesday: FME News for the Week Ending 3-September-2021

• 1 September 2021
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hello everyone.

Apologies for the lack of what's up Wednesday last week. It just means there is more to share this time!

FME Community Survey

Are you a member of the FME Community? By "community" I don't just mean this particular site; it could be any site where FME is discussed, such as Twitter, Slack, Reddit, or YouTube even.

Basically, if you talk FME or interact with any other users online, I'd be really grateful if you took a survey on the current state of the community. I'm working on improving our community offerings, and this survey will help to guide much of what I'm doing.

The survey is available online until October 1st, 2021. Thanks 🙂

Recent Tweets

On the subject of community, I wanted to give a shoutout to Safe partner Red Geographics, who are celebrating their 17th anniversary today.

RedGeographics 

So congratulations to Community Champion Hans and his team for their excellent FME work.

Also on Twitter, partner IMGS mentions their upcoming FME Intelligence Virtual Event for FME users across all of Ireland.

IMGSTweet 

And here is a neat thread showing the power of the PointOnAreaOverlayer in FME.

2022 Betas Online Now!

As @Dale Lutz​ recently tweeted, the FME 2022 beta versions are now available online.

Betas 

Of course - as the note mentions - it's not wise to use these for production work, but they're a fascinating way to get a glimpse of what's coming up next year. As always, get them from safe.com/downloads

Upcoming Webinars

It's September already (how did that happen?) and we've got a great webinar lineup as usual. Perhaps the most popular one will be an AMA (Ask Me Anything) session on using FME with Esri products.

AMAEsri 

That one has a really top-class lineup of Safers, so don't miss it. My eye was also attracted to webinars on metadata and Lidar, perhaps because I still have a lot to learn in those fields.

Anyway, find the full list of upcoming events on our website.

Community Activity

I noticed a few things of interest going on in the community during the last two weeks.

On the hub, I see that the BANGeocoder (a geocoder for France) got a recent update. The transformer history shows that Geonov does update this on a regular basis, which is great to see. Since it's early in a new month, there will be a new hub digest coming out soon. If you aren't signed up for monthly digests, there's an option under your account settings:

HubDigestSignup 

In the Ideas section, I noticed that a few Ideas about the Clipper transformer got their status changed to Under Development. For example, an idea on clipping surfaces, an idea on clipping meshes, an idea on clipping in 3D to create floorplans, and an idea on better handling of overlapping clippers.

There's also a change in status to In Beta for a 3D dissolver transformer (we're calling it the SolidDissolver) so that's another reason to give the 2022 beta a spin. Plus, although the status hasn't changed, I hear that an idea on Geodatabase writing is being closely looked at by our developers.

And finally, on the Knowledge Base, I see updates to articles on FME Server Security, on Inspire GML reading and writing, on the Python for FME Tutorial, and in the Known Issues in FME 2021.x article.

Remember, there's a big Follow button that you can press to get updates on articles that are important to you!

ArticleFollow 

I think that's it for FME news this week. Be sure to go back to the top and click on the link for the FME Community survey!

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Thanks @mark2atsafe​ 

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

@mark2atsafe​  Can the follow functionality also be added to questions? Sometimes there are interesting question that I can't answer, but would like to know the answer

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Thanks for the shoutout @mark2atsafe​ 😃

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

@mark2atsafe​  Can the follow functionality also be added to questions? Sometimes there are interesting question that I can't answer, but would like to know the answer

I'll check what we can do. I see it's possible to bookmark a question - and then you find those bookmarked questions under your profile page. But you probably won't get the same alerts. Anyway, I'll check with our site developers to see if it's something we can add.