Question

How do I stop FME adjusting the compression tolerance to '1' when using POD writer?

• 1 September 2021
  • 6 replies

When using the POD writer I get a warning message "POD writer: Compression tolerance '0.001' is too small for the point cloud coordinates and may produce poor results. Adjusting compression tolerance to '1'

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Yeah this seems weird. The documentation suggests that the default is 0.001. I suspect it has something to do with the data. What happens to your results?

It results in a reduced density of the point cloud so data is lost. I have tried changing the compression tolerance but it always adjusts to 1!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

It results in a reduced density of the point cloud so data is lost. I have tried changing the compression tolerance but it always adjusts to 1!

Hello @asmall​ , unfortunatley there is no way to disable this. We concluded that when the compression tolerance is too small (compared to the coordinate values), the coordinates would change significantly and output poor results. It's possible, if the tolerance was < 1, you'd experience even worse data loss / results.

However, would you be willing to share the dataset in question, so we can take a look? Alternatively, you can create an Idea (to slightly reduce POD Writer compression tolerance) and link it here? Here to help, Kailin.

Hello @asmall​ , unfortunatley there is no way to disable this. We concluded that when the compression tolerance is too small (compared to the coordinate values), the coordinates would change significantly and output poor results. It's possible, if the tolerance was < 1, you'd experience even worse data loss / results.

However, would you be willing to share the dataset in question, so we can take a look? Alternatively, you can create an Idea (to slightly reduce POD Writer compression tolerance) and link it here? Here to help, Kailin.

https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000cTtfQAE/detail

Hello @kailinatsafe​, what is the best way of sharing our dataset with you? We have a POD writer workbench working well but it reduces the point cloud to a level that is out of our tolerance of 5mm. We would really like to use this workflow so it would be great to get some help with this!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @asmall​ , thanks for responding! Funnily enough, I just created a ticket to investigate this a few days ago (FMEENGINE-70757). If you would be able to share your workbench, data and expected results here - this would be great! If not, please Submit A Support Case.