Question

Is it possible to create new version of ArcSDE geodatabase through FME? what transformer to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• 1 September 2021
  • 7 replies

Basically I need to create new edit version from sde.default and need to compare one arcsde geodatabase layer(copy layer) to another layer (source layer). Any changes in the source layer will be written to the copy layer.

Copy layer is a versioned layer and the source layer is not versioned.

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @cherylmayb​ , thanks for posting to the FME Community! Do you mean to create new Version or just writing new tables? (Fairly certian versions have to exist in a geodatabase already and new versions are to be created through ArcMap/ArcPro). However, we do have a tutorial for extracting differences from an ArcSDE GDB. Hope this helps, Kailin.

Hello @cherylmayb​ , thanks for posting to the FME Community! Do you mean to create new Version or just writing new tables? (Fairly certian versions have to exist in a geodatabase already and new versions are to be created through ArcMap/ArcPro). However, we do have a tutorial for extracting differences from an ArcSDE GDB. Hope this helps, Kailin.

Thanks Kailin for the fast response! Highly appreciated. I have a sde.default version database I'm thinking of creating a child version on fly using FME, if it is not possible then I may start with a created version(through arcmap) geodatabase.

For the extracting of the differences it will be comparing a 2 layer (area boundary) with different fieldnames that I need to match (2 fields) for checking if any change happens. Thanks in advanced Kailin!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thanks Kailin for the fast response! Highly appreciated. I have a sde.default version database I'm thinking of creating a child version on fly using FME, if it is not possible then I may start with a created version(through arcmap) geodatabase.

For the extracting of the differences it will be comparing a 2 layer (area boundary) with different fieldnames that I need to match (2 fields) for checking if any change happens. Thanks in advanced Kailin!

@cherylmayb​ no problem at all! Glad to help, yes correct. I think the article I mentioned above will help you do exactly what you want! You could also potentially try using the ChangeDetector transformer to identify changes as well.

Hi Kaikin,

How can I do a Update writer to Esri Geodatabase with ChangeDetector transformer? I can only see "Added" and "Deleted" in my ChangeDetector transformer. I am using FME 2016.1.1.0. I don't like to write insert and delete method for the change. Any help or direction is greatly appreacited. Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @cherylmayb​ , sorry for the late reply! Did you manage to get this working? I highly recommend upgrading to our latest FME Version, you can find the link on our Downloads Page. Would you be able to provide a screenshot of your ChangeDetector parameters and output ports (and or share a copy of your workspace)? The ChangeDetector should detect updates/inserts/deletions made to any record at runtime, can you confirm there were updates that the ChangeDetector did not identify? Or were records only added and removed from the table?

Hi Kailin,

I already manage to make it work. May I ask what is the best approach in comparing (using change detector transformer) on shape(geometry) changes with two source (sde) having different Projection?

I'm thinking of writing it temporarily in Filegdb with common projection before I will make it as input in Change Detertor transformer, is this the best approach? or I can convert the projection in the fly and compare? Thank you and hoping to hear from you Kailin.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @cherylmayb​ , so glad you figured it out! In the ChangeDetector, under "Check Geometry" there is a parameter called "Check Coordinate Systems:". If this is "disabled" or set to "no", then we ignore coordinate systems, and assume the geometries are in the same coordinate system. If it is "enabled", we should only match geometries when they have the same coordinate system. As a result, I would reproject (Reprojector) your features before inputting to the ChangeDetector to compare. (The ChangeDetector should be able to flag features with differing coordinate systems though, if that parameter is enabled). Hope this helps, Kailin.