Solved

Storing/Passing sensitive data to Workspace

• 1 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I am trying to make a REST API call to one of our servers from inside of a Workspace with an HttpCaller and I am not sure where would be ideal to store or pass credentials like username-password pairs/tokens that are required for this. I don't want to just leave it hardcoded in the Workspace, what I'm looking for is some kind of storing mechanism for sensitive data from where we can retrieve it later in a Workspace.(whether it's in the Cloud/Server does not matter, as long as it's via an FME feature)

Any alternative/tipp would be greatly appreciated on the topic of credentials/security measures when working with the FME ecosystem.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by caracadrian 1 September 2021, 14:18

View original

3 replies

Badge +20

You can create a custom transformer with a Password Parameter where the password is stored semi-encoded. Semi as in you have to send it to the API at some point and it becomes readable.

As an example download eterra3.ancpi.roGeometryFetcher | FME Hub (safe.com) custom transformer from the FME Hub and right click edit on it.

Or you can create a Web Connection in FME Options where you can store the credentials.

Are Web Connections stored encrypted? Or what is the security measure taken with them?

Userlevel 4

Are Web Connections stored encrypted? Or what is the security measure taken with them?

Web connections are indeed stored encrypted.

For all outward-facing FME Server instances, I highly recommend using SSL (https).