Question

Top down georeferenced image from photomesh

• 30 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +22
  • Contributor
  • 1963 replies

I have some photomesh files that I would like to turn into 2d top down raster images. Is there a way I can accomplish that in FME while preserving the georeferencing. Most of my viewing software allows me to export a snapshot, but the geocoordinates are not preserved.

Original data (obj)

photomesh-obliqueDesired output (geotiff)

photomesh-top 

I can't just use the texture files because they are spaghetti.

m-00031

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Ideally you should get the original orthophoto used to create the textures of the mesh. I can't think of an FME workflow that would let you do this. But it's an interesting problem for sure. I shall follow this thread with interest. 😏

Badge +22

Ideally you should get the original orthophoto used to create the textures of the mesh. I can't think of an FME workflow that would let you do this. But it's an interesting problem for sure. I shall follow this thread with interest. 😏

Getting the original orthophoto would be ideal, but unfortunately not possible.

I tried converting the mesh to a pointcloud and then using the imageRasterizer and while that mostly worked, there were a few surprises, particularly in the tree at the lower right.

photomesh-FMETreeI might need to try and filter the pointcloud to only the highest z or something.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Getting the original orthophoto would be ideal, but unfortunately not possible.

I tried converting the mesh to a pointcloud and then using the imageRasterizer and while that mostly worked, there were a few surprises, particularly in the tree at the lower right.

photomesh-FMETreeI might need to try and filter the pointcloud to only the highest z or something.

Ohhh of course, what an excellent idea. Yeah very strange in the corner there, strange that it's very much in a grid form. I've has some issues when converting point clouds to raster, I've found that snapping the points to a grid and then getting the max z for each new grid point works well - there were some tricks in a couple of point cloud articles that helped with this. The data I worked with though was not RGB but height values so didn't matter to much about how it looked.

I had the same idea and the same problems.

I solved this problem by using the PointCloudSorter and sorting the Z component in ascending order. That resolved the problem in my case.