Question

Im looking at breaking all block references in a DWG down to the "level" where i only have 1 block that consists of geometry, instead of blocks containing blocks, keeping the transform of each block (im replacing it with proxymeshes in Unreal Engine)

• 26 August 2021
  • 2 replies

I have an idea about a collection of feature readers and writers (feature reader for DWG can break blocks 1 level. then checking if the entities resulting from that break is geometry ( ill keep the block containing that geometry from before the break) or if its a block (break again). then iterating over that until all i have is blocks that if breaked/exploded only consists of meshgeometry.

I would like to hear some feedback on this idea.

2 replies

Hello @oskarwallin90​ 

En example file would be helpfull, because the way I see it, the DWG reader explodes all blocks by default (recursively). It should do exactly what you describe:

Capture

Here is my workspace.

Maybe you can figure out what i am doing wrong.

I have DWG with alot of layers and blocks, consisting of blocks and geometry.

In the end, i want to find the location and rotation of all blocks that consists of geometry directly (not blocks that has blocks). then replace that point with a box representing the transform of the original block.

Ex. I have a tree. Fruit on that tree is "Geometry".

The tree trunk is a block that has branches (Blocks).

the branches has Twigs(blocks)

and the Twigs has fruit(Geometry).

I want to find all the Twigs in the tree, get their position and rotation and switch them out to something else.

I hope it makes sense

Best Regards

Oskar Wallin