Question

Combining and publish huge amounts of drone aerial imgery

• 26 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I currently have drone imagery where i have 500 images but each image is 500mb in size.

I have ArcGIS pro and FME desktop but need to combine the images then publish it to ArcGIS Enterprise.

I also need to reduce the image size, then combine and also to set the coordinates to local area.

Can anyone recommend what steps i can do this, would be really appreciated as i am struggling to understand where to get started and have many limitations due to the size of the file.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

When you say "publish it to ArcGIS Enterprise" what does that mean exactly? - is there a specification that is required?

There are a number of different ways to publish imagery for viewing on the web for example: WMS, WMTS and TMS to name a few of the popular ones. I'm not exactly sure what the preferred method is for ArcGIS Enterprise though.

You might want to look at the ESRI Raster Mosaic Writer in FME.

Reduction in image size can usually be done with compression, however, again it really depends on the desired output structure of the data.

Your best bet for georeferencing is probably to do each image individually is you can (you can automate this in a batch process). Depending on what kind of information you have for georeferencing will dictate the required workflow - but you will probably need at least this tool: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/rastergeoreferencer.htm

I am currently using Arcgis Enterprise as our web system instead of AGOL. We would like to gather the drone imagery together and upload it as one layer to the system, to view with other datasets.

Thanks for sharing the tips, i will have a go at that this week.,

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

When you say "publish it to ArcGIS Enterprise" what does that mean exactly? - is there a specification that is required?

There are a number of different ways to publish imagery for viewing on the web for example: WMS, WMTS and TMS to name a few of the popular ones. I'm not exactly sure what the preferred method is for ArcGIS Enterprise though.

You might want to look at the ESRI Raster Mosaic Writer in FME.

Reduction in image size can usually be done with compression, however, again it really depends on the desired output structure of the data.

Your best bet for georeferencing is probably to do each image individually is you can (you can automate this in a batch process). Depending on what kind of information you have for georeferencing will dictate the required workflow - but you will probably need at least this tool: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/rastergeoreferencer.htm

Another thing to consider once its published is caching - you can get the server to do it at publish, or have it generated dynamically (when a user views an area) or us arcpy to generate before publishing