Question

Return last OBJECTID from a File GeoDatabase

Badge +5

Hi,

is there a way to find the last OBJECTID in an ESRI FileGeoDatabase and return it?

I can do this using SQLCreator > VariableSetter > VariableRetriever > Counter transformers for an Oracle Spatial Database but a FileGeoDatabase is not listed in the Reader Gallery within SQLCreator transformer.

My knowledge of FME is pretty basic and would appreciate a 'how to' (if it's possible).

Thank you

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

What I do is use a FeatureReader (Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb)) and put

OBJECTID = (select MAX(OBJECTID) from <featureclassname>)

in the whereclause. This returns the feature with the highest objectid. You can initiate a FeatureReader with a Creator transformer.

This works in a classic reader as well. You can find the WhereClause under the Readers Parameters in the Navigator, on the left side of your screen.

Badge +5

What I do is use a FeatureReader (Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb)) and put

OBJECTID = (select MAX(OBJECTID) from <featureclassname>)

in the whereclause. This returns the feature with the highest objectid. You can initiate a FeatureReader with a Creator transformer.

This works in a classic reader as well. You can find the WhereClause under the Readers Parameters in the Navigator, on the left side of your screen.

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

I don't have Esri Geodatabase available as an option, only File Geodb Open API. Not sure if that causes a problem as the WHERE Clause in the window then greys out. I tried entering clause first then selecting the Format and Dataset but it reverted Where to being greyed out again.

FeatureReader1

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

I don't have Esri Geodatabase available as an option, only File Geodb Open API. Not sure if that causes a problem as the WHERE Clause in the window then greys out. I tried entering clause first then selecting the Format and Dataset but it reverted Where to being greyed out again.

FeatureReader1

The where clause should become available to select once you've chosen a feature type to read

Badge +5

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

I don't have Esri Geodatabase available as an option, only File Geodb Open API. Not sure if that causes a problem as the WHERE Clause in the window then greys out. I tried entering clause first then selecting the Format and Dataset but it reverted Where to being greyed out again.

FeatureReader1

No, I'm afraid not. Unless I'm missing something?

FeatureReader1

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Can you specify a single feature type to read. Currently it's set to read all feature types ​

Badge +5

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Apologies, I had uploaded my 1st image again by mistake. Screengrab should have "General_Housing_Stock" populated.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Ahhh that's too bad, I've just looked at this link: ​https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000TksnQAC/detail

It seems like if you add in a normal FILEGDB reader (not feature reader) you can specify a where clause on each Feature Type. Not at computer computer I can't check

Badge +5

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

@nielsgerrits​ is quite correct in his post, if you hover over the WHERE window it specifies it's not available. Well spotted @virtualcitymatt​ 

So, I've done my bit and voted the suggestion up.

Is adding  File Geodb Open API as a reader an option for me here to return the max OBJECTID then?, WHERE Clause will let me populate. Don't know if syntax is OK though!

FeatureType1

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

I don't have Esri Geodatabase available as an option, only File Geodb Open API. Not sure if that causes a problem as the WHERE Clause in the window then greys out. I tried entering clause first then selecting the Format and Dataset but it reverted Where to being greyed out again.

FeatureReader1

If you change the where clause to 

OBJECTID = (select MAX(OBJECTID) from General_Housing_Stock)

it works. Just checked.

Badge +5

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

File Geodb Open API Reader set with syntax kindly provided

FeatureType2How do I go about passing the max OBJECTID?

I thought it might be a case of adding a VariableSetter as that works when it's writing to Oracle. However as you can see it's failing along the way (this of course may not be the correct approach!)

Workspace1

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

You need to make sure that the FILGDB reader is read first. You can do this by reordering the Readers in the Navigator to make sure that the FILEGDB reader is on top of the Oracle reader

Badge +5

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Thanks @virtualcitymatt​ OK I have reordered and have had a degree of success, looks like the max OBJECTID is passing OK.

Workspace2Appears something isn't correct with the VariableRetriever?

VariableRetriever

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

What is the rejection message in the Counter. Note that when using VariableSetter/Receivers with feature caching on it can have unexpected side-effects. Make sure to run the workspace fully each time you want to do a test

Badge +5

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Yes, been re-running entire workspace each time. Errors not very helpful.

Translation log - 4 Errors

The below feature caused the translation to be terminated

Counter_<Rejected> (TeeFactory): Counter_<Rejected>: Termination Message: 'Counter output a <Rejected> feature. To continue translation when features are rejected, change 'Workspace Parameters' > Translation > 'Rejected Feature Handling' to 'Continue Translation''

Counter (CounterFactory): Counter_<Rejected>: Termination Message: 'Counter output a <Rejected> feature. To continue translation when features are rejected, change 'Workspace Parameters' > Translation > 'Rejected Feature Handling' to 'Continue Translation''

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

If you click on the feature coming out of the counter is there an attribute called REJECTION_REASON or something? how have you configured the counter?

Badge +5

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

No errors as such when you expand the Output for VariableRetriever but the Counter has added a field.

RejectionCodeCounterParameter

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Yeah, right and if you inspect the feature that gets rejected​ is there anything inside the fme_rejection_code?

I think you should try and use an ExpressionEvaluator before the counter to evaluate the expression you have there in the counter. I suspect FME is treating that as a string and not actually evaluating your expression.​

Badge +5

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Upon expanding the table it doesn't seem happy.

InvalidParameterAdded an ExpressionEvaluator

ExpressionEvaluatorRan through with Counter disconnected or else it fails.

Workspace3The ExpressionEvaluator_Output isn't populating OBJECTID - I would expect it to?

ExpressionEvaluator_Output

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks @nielsgerrits​ 

FeatureReader1

Right, here it looks like the variable is not getting picked up from the VariableRetriever - This explains why your result is <null>.

You need to make sure that the variable is getting picked up.

If you find the VariableRetriever to be too annoying you can also use a FeatureMerger - use the MAXCOUNT feature as the supplier and set the merge conditions to be 1 = 1. This will merge the single MAXCOUNT feature onto all of the features coming from Oracle.

The VariableSetter/Retriever should also work though but with the feature caching it does make it annoying to work with sometimes.