Solved

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out what is not working in the workspace attached. I've also attached its log to investigate.

• 23 August 2021
  • 8 replies

The workspace tries to read a CSV from internet and write a feature class in a geodatabase. I am trying to use this workbench with a remote desktop machine, which has all the licenses needed installed. Just a note, the workspace works perfectly well in local when not using the remote machine.

It also works when using Open API geodatabase writer or shapefile writer. I though it may be a licensing issue, but then the workspace works when you run it from the beginning to the join and then from the join to the end, instead of running the entire workspace.

So I though maybe it was the temporary storage failing, so I changed the temporary files storage folder but the same error appears.

BTW, the error is very generic "Error running translation" so I do not know what else to do.

I would appreciate any help to solve this issue. Right now I've split the worspace in two, one to read and download the CSV file in the remote machine, and another to read the CSV from the remote machine and write it there as well. It seems this way it also works.

Thanks in advance 😊

icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 26 August 2021, 06:19

View original

8 replies

Badge +15

Your attached workbench just contains a CSV reader a Junction and a GDB writer. And some text that could be in this question.

You say that when you download the CSV first and then write to GDB it works. Here you say that it could be licencing issues. In your workbench it says you get an error about locks. Then there is some message about SDE, which is not GDB.

My best guess would be licensing issues or version issues. Is your FME workbench version compatible with your ArcGIS Pro version?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Yeah, this looks like the workspace is crashing as there is no real ERROR message. It is quite hard to say where the problem is happening but I think your suspicion about temp files could be correct. But licensing could also be a factor I guess. You could try running the workspace and Administrator if you suspect if could be a permissions issue.

I would suggest you also try and run this workspace without feature caching on (Run>Enable Feature Caching).

Your attached workbench just contains a CSV reader a Junction and a GDB writer. And some text that could be in this question.

You say that when you download the CSV first and then write to GDB it works. Here you say that it could be licencing issues. In your workbench it says you get an error about locks. Then there is some message about SDE, which is not GDB.

My best guess would be licensing issues or version issues. Is your FME workbench version compatible with your ArcGIS Pro version?

Hi thanks for your answer.

Please ignore the SDE comments, this would be for another topic and I forgot to delete the comments. They refer to another testing I was doing.

Regarding the licensing/version issues, these below are the licensing specs:

• ARCGIS PRO 2.8 (permanent license)
  • Edition: FME Desktop ESRI Edition (floating), Version: FME(R) 2020.0.0.0 (20200309 - Build 20200 - WIN64)

I would say that they're compatible, and I have no problems with other workspaces, only this one that tries to read from an url and write to GDB in the same workspace.

Is there any compatibility table or similar I could check?

Thanks

Yeah, this looks like the workspace is crashing as there is no real ERROR message. It is quite hard to say where the problem is happening but I think your suspicion about temp files could be correct. But licensing could also be a factor I guess. You could try running the workspace and Administrator if you suspect if could be a permissions issue.

I would suggest you also try and run this workspace without feature caching on (Run>Enable Feature Caching).

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I've tried to run it without feature caching and the error persists. I have also changed the temporary folder using FME_TEMP with no success as well. The only thin I am yet to try is getting admin rights to run it. I will let you know if it works.

Thanks

Hi, I have also tried with administrator rights and no luck, same error.

Userlevel 6
Badge +31

Please ignore the SDE comments, this would be for another topic and I forgot to delete the comments. They refer to another testing I was doing.

• Edition: FME Desktop ESRI Edition (floating), Version: FME(R) 2020.0.0.0 (20200309 - Build 20200 - WIN64)

I would say that they're compatible, and I have no problems with other workspaces, only this one that tries to read from an url and write to GDB in the same workspace.

Thanks

Not sure if this is the problem but ArcGIS Pro 2.8 officially requires FME 2021.0.2 or higher.

See Notes on FME and Esri Versions and Compatibility

I would check this first and fix this first.

Then I would make sure Feature Caching is off on the remote machine. This eats storage, but with almost no transformers this is probably not the problem.

Then test if you can write anything to the featureclass at all, without using the source, just dummy data, a record created by a Creator + AttributeCreator.

Thanks

Hi,

It was a compatibility issue. We have installed FME DESKTOP 2021.1 and it works now.

Thank you so much for your comments.

Badge +15

Thanks

You could help solve this error by voting on:

https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000LPAdQAO/detail