Question

How do I get a schema to carry from a Feature Reader to a Dynamic Writer? I keep getting errors saying that 'Feature Type Definition {feature here} was requested, but not defined. I'm stumped. Thank you in advance!

• 16 August 2021
  • 5 replies

P.S. When I have managed to get this to work, the attributes from the various features read by the FeatureReader aren't being written.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

There is an attribute in the Schema feature called fme_feature_type_name, this will need to match the feature type name you are using in the writer, this is how FME know which schema should go with which feature(s).

If fme_feature_type on the features is missing or does not match one of the fme_feature_type_names's from the Schema Features coming out of the FeatureReader then the writer will complain - This kind of thing can happen when merging data from another data source with a different fme_feature_type

In addition, the Schem Feature(s) must reach the writer before the actual features. If you are not changing the Schem Features in the workspace at all then this should be working fine, however, there could be problems if you are using partial runs/running from a cache.

There is an attribute in the Schema feature called fme_feature_type_name, this will need to match the feature type name you are using in the writer, this is how FME know which schema should go with which feature(s).

If fme_feature_type on the features is missing or does not match one of the fme_feature_type_names's from the Schema Features coming out of the FeatureReader then the writer will complain - This kind of thing can happen when merging data from another data source with a different fme_feature_type

In addition, the Schem Feature(s) must reach the writer before the actual features. If you are not changing the Schem Features in the workspace at all then this should be working fine, however, there could be problems if you are using partial runs/running from a cache.

Thank you @virtualcitymatt​ - this is helpful. I think the issue is the fme_feature_type is exposed earlier in the process for a different feature and maybe getting in the way. I'm changing that now and we'll see what effect it has. All that is happening after the FeatureReader is a TestFilter and a Clip, so this has been baffling to me. Crossing my fingers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thank you @virtualcitymatt​ - this is helpful. I think the issue is the fme_feature_type is exposed earlier in the process for a different feature and maybe getting in the way. I'm changing that now and we'll see what effect it has. All that is happening after the FeatureReader is a TestFilter and a Clip, so this has been baffling to me. Crossing my fingers!

Another thing to check is if you are using attributes from your initiator and merging them on the the output features of the FeatureReader, it could be that the fme_feature_type is being preserved from the initiator and not from the Features in the FeatureReader themselves

Badge +3

Thankyou for this - I was having the exact same problem - all settings in a way that should have worked - but having this issue. I can confirm it was partial runs / caching for me causing the issue. I cleared cache and ran from start and it worked.

Badge +5

This was very helpful. Thanks @virtualcitymatt​