Question

While translating a AutoCAD file to MapInfo, how to keep the number of object defined by the Visibility number assigned on to the Dynamic Block objects?

• 15 August 2021
  • 3 replies

From the first image, you can see the selected object has 6 chairs, which is decided by the number of the visibility. But after translated it into MapInfo, all the options of the visibility (3,4,5,6,7,8) have been translated and overlapped each other. I want the number of chair on each object displayed on MapInfo are the same as displayed on CAD file. Anywhere I can adjust apart from Explode Blocks on FME? Help please! Thank you!!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Dynamic Blocks in FME aren't supported in the same way as they are in AutoCAD. FME will treat dynamic blocks as the sum of all parts. This is pretty unfortunate, especially in this case!

What you could do it to try and create new blocks, one for each of the visibility options in a separate file. You can then try and replace the dynamic block definition with the new block based on the attribute. It's not ideal but it could be an option.

Hi virtualcitymatt, Thank you for your reply! Do you know if FME has a plan to address this issue in the near future?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi virtualcitymatt, Thank you for your reply! Do you know if FME has a plan to address this issue in the near future?

Sadly I expect not. Dynamic Blocks are a pretty large topic. It would be awesome though