Question

Reducing the Geometry points or Smooth the map geometry with reducing number of points

Badge

Hi,

I have a map with different territorial (regional) authorities and heaps of points (around 2000 points) representing each of those territorial authority.

Question: My idea is to use the FME to reduce the number of points (or smooth the geometry) of each territorial authority. The reason behind doing this is.....I want to use that map in another geospatial software .....where with current number of geometry points it's hard to zoom in or zoom out the individual territorial authority (it takes long time to look into individual territory). I don't know which transformers in FME should I use to do this process...any suggestions on this will be really helpful.

2 replies

Badge +5

I think the generaliser transformer will assist here. Give that a go. I think it has a few options of how to weed/thin line vertices from memory.

Badge

I think the generaliser transformer will assist here. Give that a go. I think it has a few options of how to weed/thin line vertices from memory.

Thanks @umapper1 for your suggestion on using generaliser transformer here. Is there any example showing this...which i can use to understand the process?