Question

Input Excel reader different every time the script runs, the reader cant handle it.

Badge +1

Hi,

I have a script where the user decide what file to add to one of the excel readers. The problem is that the information in the excelfile is new everytime and so are the columns as well. But the problem is that the reader wont update to new columns in the new excelfile. Somehow the first excelfile that is added to the reader is kind of "stuck" there until I remove the reader and add a new one with the new excelf file. But the problem is that this script is connected to a FME server app where the users will be choosing an excelfile in the app and not in the script. So I wont be able to re add a new excel reader everytime. Does anyone here have a solution for my problem?

FME version: 2020.1

2 replies

Badge +22

Use and Merge filter on the reader and a dynamic writer. The only fields you need exposed are the ones that will actually be manipulated by the workspace, the rest will just carry through silently.

If required field names vary between files you need to either apply some logic to rename the attributes (ex force to uppercase, regex on the bulkAttributeRenamer, etc) or have a user parameter specifying the relevant attribute.

Badge +1

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Could you perhaps attach an example of your solution above? I just cant make it work on my FME script.