Question

How to transform KML to CAD with 3D shape

• 12 July 2021
  • 1 reply

Hello. I would like to know How can I use FME to transform KML to CAD with 3D shape.

The first image below is my KML file in Google Earth which I use 3DForcer to generate the height of buildings.螢幕擷取畫面 2021-07-12 14.23.59I also want to see them in AutoCAD, so I transform this KML file to DWG without any transformers.Only the reader and the writer.I refered this question:https://community.safe.com/s/question/0D54Q000080hgkVSAQ/converting-kml-to-dwg-stretches-the-original-shape

But the result seems that there's no height line in CAD

螢幕擷取畫面 2021-07-12 14.32.39I want CAD shows just what I saw in the Google Earth, How can I do that ?

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @yanyu​, What did the dwg output look like in Visual Preview or FME Data Inspector? I did a quick test and it seemed to work for me. Here's a screenshot of the workspace with the dwg output shown in the Visual Preview in Workbench:

3D_KML_2_DWGHere I reprojected the polygons in the KML to a projected coordinate system with meaningful units (metres in this case). I extruded the polygons and then wrote out to a dwg using the "Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF" Writer. Which AutoCAD Writer are you using in FME? Take a look here to see which DWG format would be most appropriate for you.

The 3D features appeared when I opened up the dwg in AutoCAD as well:

3d dwgIf you are still having issues, feel free to share a sample KML or a workspace template (.fmwt file; File > Save As Template)