Solved

Global Rule - Email if Workbench Fails?

Badge

Hi - Wondering if this is possible? Having a global rule that can send an email if a workbench fails as opposed to having to consider this each time within an automation.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by runneals 20 July 2021, 23:22

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

You could set up a job which runs on a schedule to read the job history, look for failed jobs and then send an email with the details? You would just need to check for failed jobs based on the period of the schedule. This could be every 10 mins, or hour or just once a day depending on how soon you need to know.

I think a global rule would be more elegant though, but you would need a way to select workspaces which could ignore the global rule.

Badge +14

Created the idea... I think it will be useful if it gets integrated as a trigger in an automation. https://community.safe.com/s/idea/0874Q000000LPBvQAO/detail

Badge

Thanks and for creating the ideas as well. Not ideal but I ended up copying and pasting a pre-done email automation between my workbench. Paste and connect (didnt even know that was possible) but makes a nightmare to manage if any settings need to be changed.

Badge +14

Thanks and for creating the ideas as well. Not ideal but I ended up copying and pasting a pre-done email automation between my workbench. Paste and connect (didnt even know that was possible) but makes a nightmare to manage if any settings need to be changed.

Oh wait! I literally JUST remembered that you can do this NOW! Open up the fmeServerConfig.txt file and look for #NOTIFY_JOB_FAILURE=<TopicName> and uncomment the line and set the <TopicName> to a topic you setup in FME Server. Then have that topic post to a subscription that triggers a workspace that sends the email. I had the last part setup on my FME instance, but manually added the failed job topic to all the schedules and automations instead of using this *doh*... Additionally you could use automations after the topic gets notified and do filtering that way (Which I think would be a lot easier)

Badge

Oh wait! I literally JUST remembered that you can do this NOW! Open up the fmeServerConfig.txt file and look for #NOTIFY_JOB_FAILURE=<TopicName> and uncomment the line and set the <TopicName> to a topic you setup in FME Server. Then have that topic post to a subscription that triggers a workspace that sends the email. I had the last part setup on my FME instance, but manually added the failed job topic to all the schedules and automations instead of using this *doh*... Additionally you could use automations after the topic gets notified and do filtering that way (Which I think would be a lot easier)

Awesome! Thanks. Will give this a go later.