Question

Shapefile Reader - dot in numeric field

Hello,

i have question and problem with ShapeFile Reader.

I have a lot of data with Numeric field N,12,6 (location_x, location_y, location_z). But separator is set with "," not "."

FME is cutting my data.

Problem 

Can somebody help mi with this issue? In previous version was parameter "Numeric Attribute Type Handling" but for now it's not accessable. 

QGiS is correctly reading numeric values.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

I can reproduce this in 2021.1, but in the FeatureReader I can switch the Reader Parameter "Numeric Attribute Type Handling" from "Standard Types" to "Explicit Width and Precision" which seems to fix this.

2021-07-09_14h03_33I can't find this setting in the classic reader, maybe this is a bug?

Yes, you're right, but it doesn't help to correct read data :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

I can reproduce this in 2021.1, but in the FeatureReader I can switch the Reader Parameter "Numeric Attribute Type Handling" from "Standard Types" to "Explicit Width and Precision" which seems to fix this.

2021-07-09_14h03_33I can't find this setting in the classic reader, maybe this is a bug?

Template included.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Yes, you're right, but it doesn't help to correct read data :(

This probably is an issue, because this works as expected in 2019.1.

You might want to Submit a Case.

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Could it be a local issue? European vs US number formatting?

1,000,000.99 (US) == 1.000.000,99 (European)

https://www.languageediting.com/format-numbers-eu-vs-us/

I don't think so, i tried with different setting, but it didn't have influance on this shapefile

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

It seems your Z values are imported correctly, and only your X and Y values are changed. So maybe the Z attribute contains a different separator from your X and Y attributes?

unfortunatelly not, i checked in DBF file and columns definitions and separators are the same. Only number of digits are different

Strange issueobraz_2021-07-13_140048

Userlevel 4
Badge +36

Alas! As you are reading point features, a pragmatic solution may be to just recalculate your X and Y attributes in an AttributeManager with @Evaluate(@XValue()) and @Evaluate(@YValue()).