Question

Workspace Runner and Locking

I'll start simple and add detail as necessary. I am working with the workspace runner. I have a table that I want to select unique values on and export as separate point feature classes (a simple iteration).

I have four unique values on 200,000 ish records.

I have set up a workspace runner and plugged it into a unique attribute logger that creates the four values I want to use to make feature classes.

It is being so finnicky I don't know where to start. Usually, it will create the first feature class, but with not nearly enough records - and not make the other three. The log file usually will say a lock caused a crash.

However, it works perfectly sometimes and I can't figure out why. At noon I thought I was in business, after a good run. By 5:00, I was stumped.

I set 'wait for job to complete' to 'yes' and it seems like it made all four feature classes four times - way too many records and it took forever.

Is there a way to control locking? I don't know why it adds 1,000 points to a feature then suddenly can't get a lock and quits.

Is there another way to do iteration?

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

One more thing - When I set 'wait for job to complete' to 'yes,' I never have a locking problem. It creates features and adds point to them just fine. It just does it too much.

One more one more thing - I set up the output to go to a different workspace (sde) and it worked perfectly. I tried again and got the lock problem (created about 30,000 points for a 100,000 point feature class and just quit). I think it works only the first time I write to a database - sde or file geodatabase.

2 replies

This is the runner.

It looks as though it is running the other workspace 4 times, but with all four values each time. It's basically doing it right, but 4 x too often.

How do I tell it to only run once for each value?

Thank you,

Randy

Capture

I am confused as to how it's parsing - The uniquevalue logger just creates a table, but the runner knows to create an output for each value.