Solved

Google Sheet API v.4: unable to create new web service from this service.

Badge +4

Hi,

In FME Workbench 2020.2.1 I'm trying to create a new web service from the service named "safe.google-sheets.Google Sheets" (Google Sheet API v.4), but, unlike other web services, seems not to be possible: this service isn't listed in the list of choices.

Could it be a bug?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by jlutherthomas 6 July 2021, 22:31

View original

4 replies

Badge +2

Hi @davtorgh​ 

This is an enhancement request currently tracked internally as FMEDESKTOP-10416 because this web service comes from a package.

My recommendation would be to create a new oauth web service from scratch and copy most of the configuration (just change out what you need).

The easiest option might be to export that web service (xml) and then edit it in a text editor. Change the service name, for example:

<service_name>safe.google-sheets.Google Sheets</service_name>

to

<service_name>jen.google-sheets.Google Sheets</service_name>

You can then Import from File... when you're in the Manage Web Services dialog window. Import the file you just edited.

Badge +4

Thank @jlutherthomas​ for your answer ,

but it doesn't work. I created the new web service following your instruction (all ok so far), but when I go into the Google Sheet Reader, the only web service shown in the choice list to create the connection is "Google Sheets (safe.google-sheets)"... my newly created web service isn't there.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

Badge +2

Thank @jlutherthomas​ for your answer ,

but it doesn't work. I created the new web service following your instruction (all ok so far), but when I go into the Google Sheet Reader, the only web service shown in the choice list to create the connection is "Google Sheets (safe.google-sheets)"... my newly created web service isn't there.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks!

@davtorgh​ 

Ahh yes, the reader is likely configured to only accept web connections created from specific web services (so you don't try to use an AWS web connection with a Google Sheet reader for example).

In that case I'd recommend doing things the other way round - add your client id/secret to the 'official' web service, but keep the exported copy as a backup if you feel like you need it.

If this is something you need, I'd recommend adding an idea to the ideas page of the community and add your use case for multiple web services, that way we can monitor the demand from customers.

Badge +4

@davtorgh​ 

Ahh yes, the reader is likely configured to only accept web connections created from specific web services (so you don't try to use an AWS web connection with a Google Sheet reader for example).

In that case I'd recommend doing things the other way round - add your client id/secret to the 'official' web service, but keep the exported copy as a backup if you feel like you need it.

If this is something you need, I'd recommend adding an idea to the ideas page of the community and add your use case for multiple web services, that way we can monitor the demand from customers.

Yes @jlutherthomas​ ,

it's exactly what I did.

Bye!