Question

how to dissolve line segments into long line?

Badge +1

I need to dissolve line segments into long line base on some attributes. I tried LineCombiner and it doesn't work, still same segments in the result.

13 replies

Userlevel 4

Could it be that there are tiny imprecisions in the start/end vertices of the line segments? Perhaps try inserting a Snapper with end point snapping just before the LineCombiner. If that doesn't work, check if the LineCombiner works without the Group By-attributes -- if that's the case, then something is wrong with the Group By-attributes.

Badge +1

I used ESRI ArcMap tool box, a tool called dissolve, that can do the work without any issue. I don't specify snapping. just dissolve line segments base on same attribute values. it can be multiline while they are not adjacent. I am wondering if there is any transformer dedicated for dissolving line segments as same as ESRI's one?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

I used ESRI ArcMap tool box, a tool called dissolve, that can do the work without any issue. I don't specify snapping. just dissolve line segments base on same attribute values. it can be multiline while they are not adjacent. I am wondering if there is any transformer dedicated for dissolving line segments as same as ESRI's one?

Aggregator might suffice. It will create aggregates (groups) of lines

Userlevel 4

The ArcGIS toolboxes actually apply a tiny amount of "snapping" to all the features, according to the tolerance settings of the feature class. FME does not, which is why it may sometimes be necessary to use a Snapper with a very small tolerance to make sure all the vertices line up perfectly.

Badge +1

thanks for the help. Aggregator is not for this dissolving purpose I guess. it doesn't ask attribute based on.

Badge +1

The ArcGIS toolboxes actually apply a tiny amount of "snapping" to all the features, according to the tolerance settings of the feature class. FME does not, which is why it may sometimes be necessary to use a Snapper with a very small tolerance to make sure all the vertices line up perfectly.

I have to use ArcGIS toolboxes. I thought FME has everything ArcGIS toolboxes provided.😏

Badge +1

I am new for FME actually. I have FME case C657637 generated. but is any support to open the case?

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

Thats where you'd use group by. Populating the Group By field will only aggregate features that share a common value in the specified attribute(s)

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Group_Based_Transformers.htm

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

The thing to note about comparing FME and ArcGIS is that on the surface, it looks like it is a one to one relationship (i.e one tool in FME does what one tool in AG does) but it isn't. Another thing to note is that FME operations on a feature by feature level (row by row) where as AG generally operates on a feature class by feature class (table by by table) basis. Two very different ways of processing data

Badge +20

Can you provide some sample data?

Generally what @david_r​ said about snapping should work. Maybe there is something you are missing.

Userlevel 4

I am new for FME actually. I have FME case C657637 generated. but is any support to open the case?

You can check the progress of your support cases here: https://community.safe.com/s/case/Case/Default

Userlevel 4

Apples and oranges, as @hkingsbury​ is also alluding to. FME and ArcGIS are complementary, not 100% overlapping (what would be the use of that).

Badge +1

agree, "complementary" is good explanation.