Question

Esri ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer, (Features Per Request parameter) yields to inconsistent INSERT behavior

• 23 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

I'm trying to bulk insert features (Append) data (basically merge databases content) to existing destination Feature Service using the FME_ArcGIS_Portal web authentication for web service.

I noticed that the Features Per request parameter has an odd behavior, and I can't seem to control/change that physically on ArcGIS Enterprise side.

In the snapshot, if I leave the default to 1000, or reduce to 500 features per request it gives two different errors.

ERROR |ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: Encountered an unexpected error. The error code from the server was 'None' and the message was: 'Could not access any server machines. Please contact your system administrator.'. Details: 'None'

or

ERROR |ArcGIS Portal Feature Service Writer: Encountered an unexpected error. The error code from the server was '500' and the message was: 'Unable to complete operation.'. Details: 'No edits ('adds', 'updates', 'deletes', or 'attachment edits') were specified.'

Translation with IssueIf I set to 449 just less than 500, it works successfully.

Does any one got the same issue?

@rahulsharma​  , any idea?

ArcGIS Enterprise Version: 10.7.0 (build 10450)

FME Desktop 2021.0.3

also tested on FME Desktop 2021.1.0 BETA

5 replies

I've just run into the same issue and was very happy to find the above workaround. I too was trying to push 1400 features into a feature service without any luck, with the same error 'Could not access any server machines' which is normally only seen when your entire ArcGIS Enterprise deployment is having issues. Decreasing the 'Features per request' parameter from the default 1000 to 400 did the trick.

My details:

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 (feature service running on ArcGIS Server with the data copied to server).

FME Desktop 2021.1 (the issue also occurred on FME Server 2021.1).

Is anyone in the FME community successfully writing daily changes to ArcGIS Enterprise Portal hosted feature layers from an ArcGIS service endpoint layer? I'm also getting the error 'Could not access any server machines. Please contact your system administrator.'. Details: 'None'. Adjusting the Features Per Request Parameter doesn't help. Workbench version 2022.1

Userlevel 1
Badge +15

Is anyone in the FME community successfully writing daily changes to ArcGIS Enterprise Portal hosted feature layers from an ArcGIS service endpoint layer? I'm also getting the error 'Could not access any server machines. Please contact your system administrator.'. Details: 'None'. Adjusting the Features Per Request Parameter doesn't help. Workbench version 2022.1

@Gary Christensen​ That error you are experiencing is often a result when your entire ArcGIS Enterprise deployment is having issues, e.g. not being turned on or not having the correct permissions to the feature layer. If you contact your system administrator and are still running into issues, you may have more luck posting a new question with your log and more information on your connection.

Badge +13

I've just run into the same issue and was very happy to find the above workaround. I too was trying to push 1400 features into a feature service without any luck, with the same error 'Could not access any server machines' which is normally only seen when your entire ArcGIS Enterprise deployment is having issues. Decreasing the 'Features per request' parameter from the default 1000 to 400 did the trick.

My details:

ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 (feature service running on ArcGIS Server with the data copied to server).

FME Desktop 2021.1 (the issue also occurred on FME Server 2021.1).

I'm glad I found this reply to this issue! I've been struggling with updating one layer, but not all, in one feature service, with the 'Could not access any server machines' error message. Once I reduced the 'Features per request' setting the error went away. The problematic layer consist of multi-line features with many parts.

Badge

The suggestion from @ngoorman​ is a good one and helped. I also found if I kept getting this error reducing the number of vertices in the polygons going to the ArcGIS Portal writer with the Generalizer helps.