Question

Is there someone out there who has an example of how to publish a workspace to the server outside FME Desktop? I was thinking of creating a Python script and develop some sort of framwork to make it easy to publish several workspaces at the same time

Badge

What I need is an easy example of how to publish a single workspace to the server in a Python script.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @anteboy65​ , it is possible! You should be able to publish a workspace to FME Server using the REST API (which can be called via python). It can be done through the Repositories endpoint documented here. There are some limitations however, particularly if you need to register your workspaces with services like Data Download or Data Streaming. There is no good way in the REST API to select which writers to include in the outputs for those.

You can also use the 'Upload' button on FME Server WebUI to drag and drop files into a repository. Hope this helps, Kailin.

Badge

Hello @anteboy65​ , it is possible! You should be able to publish a workspace to FME Server using the REST API (which can be called via python). It can be done through the Repositories endpoint documented here. There are some limitations however, particularly if you need to register your workspaces with services like Data Download or Data Streaming. There is no good way in the REST API to select which writers to include in the outputs for those.

You can also use the 'Upload' button on FME Server WebUI to drag and drop files into a repository. Hope this helps, Kailin.

Thanks! But sad that it isn't possible to publish workspaces with data streaming services. Because that was exactly what I had :)

That Upload button in the Server WebUI, where is that? We have version 2018.1 on the server.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Thanks! But sad that it isn't possible to publish workspaces with data streaming services. Because that was exactly what I had :)

That Upload button in the Server WebUI, where is that? We have version 2018.1 on the server.

Hello @anteboy65​ , oh no! Sorry to hear that. Perhaps the drag/drop option could be used as an alternative? I think the drag/drop functionality was only added in newer versions of FME Server, I was able to test in 2020.1.1. You should see the Upload button on the WebUI under Workspace > Manage Workspaces > Click Upload (near top right), or just drag/drop your workspaces directly into the Repository folder. I suggest reading here under 'Uploading Workspaces to FME Server > 1. ' to see how to upload multiple workspaces from a folder. Best, Kailin.

Badge

2021-06-23_07-23-16Maybe I'm blind but I can't even see the first choise - Workspace > Manage Workspaces > Click Upload (near top right). Should it be in the menu to the left?

If so, I don't have that option.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @anteboy65​ , thanks for replying. Turns out this functionality wasn't added until FME Server 2020, so it won't be accessible on your FME Server. If you were to upgrade, you would see the upload button here, as shown below:

FMEServer_UploadButton 

Or you can drag and drop files directly into the Repository Folder from your file explorer. Best, Kailin.

Badge

Ok thanks!