Question

Hello, hope you are all well? I was wondering if you can help me. I have a workbench that converts a Pointcloud in .LAS format into a TIN in .DWG format. This works well, but we have about 200 LAS files to convert each month.

Each .DWG file has to haev the same file name as the source .LAS that it is converted from. what is the best way to set this up so it converts all of them one at a time without too much user input?

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hey @martina​ , thanks for posting to the FME Community! Are you familiar with any of FME's Batch Processing Methods? If you are new to batch translations, you can read more about the process here. For the naming issue, you could try to append the current date to the end/tail of the output file name. Let me know if you have any further questions! Best, Kailin.

Badge +15

I like to do this with the following settup:

Start with a Creator to start your workbench.

Then a FeatureReader set to read Directory and File Pathnames. Set it to read the folder with the LAS files.

Then a FeatureReader set to read the LAS files with the @Value(path_unix) attribute.

Then a FeatureWriter to write DWG to your directory. Use the @Value(path_rootname).dwg as the Filename to write.

Between the FeatureReader and the FeatureWriter you convert your data from PointCloud to TIN.

Hey @martina​ , thanks for posting to the FME Community! Are you familiar with any of FME's Batch Processing Methods? If you are new to batch translations, you can read more about the process here. For the naming issue, you could try to append the current date to the end/tail of the output file name. Let me know if you have any further questions! Best, Kailin.

Thank you, I have tried this and it runs but what happens is all the .las files i input get merged into a single DWG file, which does not help me. How can i get it to create multiple .dwg files as the output?

Badge +10

Thank you, I have tried this and it runs but what happens is all the .las files i input get merged into a single DWG file, which does not help me. How can i get it to create multiple .dwg files as the output?

Hi @martina​, sounds like you might want to set up a Feature Type Fanout based on the input file or feature type. You can try either using fme_feature_type or fme_basename (which you'll have to expose in your Reader Feature Type's Format Attributes tab). Hope this helps!

Badge +15

I think you need to set the Group by (on fme_feature_type or fme_basename) on the transformers that convert the LAS to a TINSurface. And maybe also the Fanout settings.