Question

How to write 12dXML including metadata and project attributes?

• 21 June 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +5

I'm writing features to a 12dXML file and I'm looking for some more documentation around the writer. All I found so far is the information here.

I can see the reader creates the meta_data and project_attributes elements but it seems they can't be written properly. If I do create those as feature types in the writer, FME gives me below warnings and renames my output feature types. These outputs will then be interpreted as models instead (and will be contained in the model table as 'metadata' and 'projectattributes')

TwelveDXML Writer: Warning, unsanitized name 'meta_data' will be renamed to 'metadata' following 12d Model naming rules
TwelveDXML Writer: Warning, unsanitized name 'project_attributes' will be renamed to 'projectattributes' following 12d Model naming rules

Interestingly, the project attributes and metadata I am writing into my project_attributes and meta_data feature classes will be contained in my written file, regardless. But still, I get models called 'projectattributes' and 'metadata' (without any features).

There seems to be a mix up. It would be great if this behavior could be documented.

A model may also contain a setout string which is defined in the model table when reading the data - how can this information be written back? It seems to be ignored by the writer because the 12dxml_id attribute I create is interpreted as attribute instead of an identifier.

And lastly, is there documentation around writing vertex and segment attributes?

Thanks!

PS.: Will FME support writing string_drainage and string_super_alignment as well?

1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @ekkischeffler​ , thank you for posting to the Community! Sorry we took a while to respond! To avoid writing unwanted models (eg. project_attributes and meta_data), would you mind testing with a Dynamic Writer? We had success when using the Dynamic Writer, opposed to the 12dXML Writer. I've attached a sample workspace, featuring the suggested workaround (non212dxml_creator.fmw). Let me know if you have any success with this or have questions.

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of resources on 12dXML right now. I was able to find some information on your latter questions. For writing vertex and segment attributes, they must be contained in a list (eg. Vertex{0} or Segment {0}). and Finally, string_drainage is supported for reader and writer, while string_super_alignment is only supported for the reader.