Question

Send email if workspace fails

• 16 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am trying to work out the best way to send an email if a workbench fails. I have searched through the forum and found someone asking something similar, and they seemed to achieve this by using WorkspaceRunner and Emailer: Send email if translation fail (safe.com).

However I can't seem to get this working. I know my emailer settings are right, as I just tried it within a different workbench and got the email notifications, so I think the problem is with WorkspaceRunner.

It is the first time I have used this. Initially I tried creating a new workspace, adding WorkpaceRunner, configuring it to look at my main workbench, then attached the succeeded and failed outputs to Emailer. So all I had in the workbench was the WorkspaceRunner and Emailer. But when I then go and run the main workbench, I don't get any emails. Does the WorkspaceRunner dynamically read the other workbench, so when that's run this should also run?

I then tried adding in my main workbench as a reader (as a single merged feature) and used that as the input for WorkspaceRunner. When running it took a long time to process, and the number of features being written to the emailer was more than 1 (I only expected one, as workbench would only run once and either fail or succeed?). This did however start sending me emails, but it was sending me several emails. I think this was due to reading in all the feature types from the workbench?

Do I need to only bring in a certain feature type when reading in the workbench, and connect that to the WorkspaceRunner input?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +29

You are able to trigger the workspace runner with any feature. In your case, using a creator would suffice. Make sure your workspace runner is set to "Wait for Job to Complete: Yes". It defaults to "No". With it set to "Yes" the parent/master workspace will stay 'running' until the child is complete in which case it will report either a success or failure

You are able to trigger the workspace runner with any feature. In your case, using a creator would suffice. Make sure your workspace runner is set to "Wait for Job to Complete: Yes". It defaults to "No". With it set to "Yes" the parent/master workspace will stay 'running' until the child is complete in which case it will report either a success or failure

Thanks for that.

I have WorkspaceRunner setup to 'wait for job to complete' already, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You mention using a creator to trigger the workspace... does this need to be configured in such a way, or just add a creator and link to the WorkspaceRunner? I have attached a screenshot of my workbench.

If I run this workbench it does send me an email. Am I right in thinking that I wont have to run this workbench though, it should get triggered once the parent/master workbench is ran (currently setup to run daily on a schedule)? FME_1

Thanks for that.

I have WorkspaceRunner setup to 'wait for job to complete' already, so that shouldn't be an issue.

You mention using a creator to trigger the workspace... does this need to be configured in such a way, or just add a creator and link to the WorkspaceRunner? I have attached a screenshot of my workbench.

If I run this workbench it does send me an email. Am I right in thinking that I wont have to run this workbench though, it should get triggered once the parent/master workbench is ran (currently setup to run daily on a schedule)? FME_1

When you run this workbench, it will trigger your parent/master workbench to run. I just built one of these today.