Question

Any plans/solutions for Smallworld database connections?

• 11 June 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +3

I currently have about 175 ETL workbenches for extracting Smallworld data for ESRI/Oracle which are being run from scheduled job on FME Server, and rarely are also manually run individually via FME Desktop if the scheduled job fails.

We are moving to a new environment (new network, new hostnames etc.), so each workbench now has to be visited individually to change the Smallworld connection config.

Are there any plans to allow a Smallworld database connection (i.e. under Tools/FME Options/Database Connections) to be created?

If not, would anyone have any suitable method (considering I will be visiting all of these anyway) to provide a centralised parameter(s) type solution to allow one location to have the connection config information? I am even starting to look at 'config.ini' type functionality in each workbench, but obviously that is a kludge.

Any ideas/possible solutions would be very welcome - thanks.

1 reply

Badge +2

@chickey​ You should approach you GE Smallworld provider / support and file an issue requesting support for a Database Connection for the GE Smallworld FME Translator. GE Smallworld develop the Smallworld FME Translator.

For your immediate issue of editing many FME workspace parameters - you could probably bulk edit the .fmw files (you could write a workspace to do this with the text read / writer) and search for the parameters you need to change (make a backup!) probably:

• DEFAULT_MACRO SourceDataset localhost:30000
  • DEFAULT_MACRO SWORLDSWAF_IN_SERVER localhost
  • DEFAULT_MACRO SWORLDSWAF_IN_PORT 30000
  • DEFAULT_MACRO SWORLDSWAF_IN_USER_NAME
  • DEFAULT_MACRO SWORLDSWAF_IN_PASSWORD

Maybe test with one workspace first!

If you want to modify the workspaces, you can create a parameter file. The pattern is something like:

• create the parameter file with the list of parameters, i.e. SourceDataset  , SWORLDSWAF_SERVER , SWORLDSWAF_IN_PORT  etc.
  • create a scripted python parameter to read the file and set the parameters $(SWORLDSWAF_IN_SERVER) etc.

I haven't tested that pattern but I think other users have succeeded with something along those lines.