Question

Error executing SQL command ('COMMIT'): 'Error connecting to database'

Hello,

Every time a run workbench I get this error near the end. Postgres doesn't print any errors in the logs.

AttributeManager_2_OUTPUT Feature Counter -1 17 (TeeFactory): Cloned 60483 input feature(s) into 60483 output feature(s)

Error executing SQL command ('COMMIT'): 'Error connecting to database'

POSTGIS writer: A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

FeatureWriter_2 (WriterFactory): POSTGIS writer: A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Any idea of what is going wrong?

6 replies

Badge +11

@patrykkluczewsk​ ,

What version of FME are you using?

What version of Postgres are you writing to and where is it hosted?

Likely there are no errors in the postgres logs because FME is not connecting to the database.. thus it fails.

Can you test the Database Connection in FME Options? Does this work?

Could you share the log file (attach the log file - the fme log file is generated in the same folder as where the workspace is saved)?

If you continue to struggle please submit a support case.

Thanks for posting the questions!

SteveatSafe

@patrykkluczewsk​ ,

What version of FME are you using?

What version of Postgres are you writing to and where is it hosted?

Likely there are no errors in the postgres logs because FME is not connecting to the database.. thus it fails.

Can you test the Database Connection in FME Options? Does this work?

Could you share the log file (attach the log file - the fme log file is generated in the same folder as where the workspace is saved)?

If you continue to struggle please submit a support case.

Thanks for posting the questions!

SteveatSafe

Thanks for replying!

I'm using FME Workbench 2021.0 and Postgres 13.

It's not a connection error because when I run less demanding tests it works just fine. The error occurs in heavier tests when they run for few hours.

And here is my FME log.

Badge +11

Thanks for sharing the log file. Right... so there's possibly one of the writer sessions that is timing out when it tries the final commit... I know I see more than one commit in some instances... so there's a good chance the data is written and committed, but then when the writer is closing it tries to commit again, but the connection may have timed out... just a guess at this point.

Can you confirm if all expected data is written?

The first writer does open up +5 hours before the end of the translation.

If you are interested in looking into this deeper - perhaps we can take this to a case? You could share the workspace with us there and we might be able to reproduce it or see if there's something that can be tweaked in the workspace to avoid the error.

https://community.safe.com/s/support and look for Submit a Case.

Thanks.

Thanks for answer.

I think the expected data is written. Do you think this could be problem with our FME script or it could be possibly network/postgres related?

Thank you.

Badge +11

@patrykkluczewsk​  - sorry to leave you hanging. Are you able to file a case with us (or your FME Reseller) so we can look at this deeper.

Hello Patryk, you were able to solve the error, I have the same problem and I have not been able to solve it, I would appreciate your answer