Question

Create area from line input

• 25 May 2021
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge +6

2021-05-25 22_27_26-orb-pc3789.corp.pbwan.net - Remote Desktop ConnectionI have a road network represented by a centerline (brown) and 2 edges (pink).

I am looking to create an area from it.

The network is rather complicated so linecloser->areauilder doesn't work. I then tried buffering the centerline, polygoncutter and spatialFilter, which doesn't really work for round-about and junctions.

At the moment I am trying to create cross-sections (blue) at a given sample dsitance, using neighbourfinder, which seems to work very well.

However, I can't figure out a way to create a hull-like area from the cross-sections. I am considering trying to write the vertices into a list and then to a polygon, but it feels overly complicated.

Does anybody have any leads.

I can provide sample data tomorrow.

1 reply

Badge +2

@mathiku​ Thanks for including the sample data. It's hard to see how you would get a reliable result with the data you have. In many places the road edge is only present on one side of the road. In others edges do not close or are, apparently, very far from the road centerline. In the image below, what would be you expectations for creating the road areas?

imageI suspect the best you can do with the data in it's current form is to buffer the road centerlines.