Question

Workbench and Data Inspector recognizes features differently

Hi FME,

I am working on a Microstation V8 DGN file with DGNV8 reader. Some of the polygons are recognized differently in Workbench and Data Inspector as attached in the images. Is this a known issue?

For example, the green polygon in the Workbench (see the attached image) is losing some of the boundary edges when compared to the same polygon drawn in the Data Inspector that is showing the correct shape.

I changed Workspace Parameters > Advanced > Preserve curves "Yes -> No" and then "No -> Yes". But neither was successful.

Since the feature shape is wrong at the reader level, adding transformers after the reader won't fix the issue.

Do you have any ideas on this?

My FME Desktop Version is FME(R) 2020.2.3.0 (20210129 - Build 20820 - linux-x64) and running on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

4 replies

Badge +20

I always found the Visual Preview embedder in FME to be lacking so I don't use it. I don't believe it's reading wrong. Maybe there is a bug in it and it doesn't render correctly.

What happens if you connect an Inspector to the reader and you open it in the standalone FME Data Inspector?

Thanks for the advice, caracadrian!

I added an Inspector to the DGNV8 reader and checked the result. Both Visual Preview and standalone Data Inspector show the same result. It is not only a rendering problem but the converted features are wrong as well.

There's a difference between the DGNV8 reader in the workbench and the Data Inspector in the translation log. The Workbench log says the reader is using Enhanced geometry; on the contrary, the Data Inspector log says its reader is using Classic geometry. The sad thing is, for this drawing, Enhanced geometry gives the wrong result.

When I checked the geometries showing disparities in the feature information pane, Linear Boundary property of the features in the workbench using enhanced geometry is "No", whereas the property of the features in the data inspector is "Yes".

My guess is the "Enhanced geometry" is not working well in the DGNV8 reader at least for my drawing. So the workbench shows a wrong result but the data inspector shows a good result since it is using the classic mode.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find an option to force using classic geometry for the reader or the workspace in FME 2020. Googling says FME 2013 had an option for controlling that, but it was not applicable to FME 2020.

http://docs.safe.com/fme/2013/html/FME_QuickTranslator/content/fme%20configuration/geometry_handling.htm

Badge +10

Hi @ahgnoy​  - I'd suggest submitting a support case and providing a the dataset you're working with so someone on the support team can look into this.

Hi @nampreetatsafe​ 

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll submit a support case for this.