Question

Auth error with Reader/Writer to Portal but Web Connection test succeeds

Badge +8

Whenever we try to use a Reader or Writer to connect to ArcGIS Portal we're getting the error "Type 3, Number 1, Message: Failed to get authorization header" when using the [...] file browser button in the Service Parameters dialog.

(Workbench >> Add Reader >> Esri ArcGIS Portal Feature Service >> {add portal url} >> Parameters >> {select auth type: Web Service} >> {select portal web connection} >> [...] file browser >> >>> ERROR)

portal-error-type3-auth-headerWe've verified the portal Web Connection works (Tools >> FME Options >> Web Connections >> Manage Services >> {select portal connection} >> Test).

portal-connect-test-success 

How to troubleshoot this further?

FME Workbench v2020.2. I'm not sure of the ArcGIS Portal version. I think 10.8.1.

3 replies

Badge +8

For Writer: if I change the Authentication Type from Web Service to 'Generate Token', fill in the appropriate credentials, the [...] file browser works, in that no error is emitted, however the following dialog is blank, no feature services are listed.

For Reader: if I change the Authentication Type from Web Service to 'Generate Token', fill in the appropriate credentials, then the [...] file browser works, and I can select a feature service and table.

portal-writer-gen-token-emptyportal-reader-gen-token-success

For Writer: if I change the Authentication Type from Web Service to 'Generate Token', fill in the appropriate credentials, the [...] file browser works, in that no error is emitted, however the following dialog is blank, no feature services are listed.

For Reader: if I change the Authentication Type from Web Service to 'Generate Token', fill in the appropriate credentials, then the [...] file browser works, and I can select a feature service and table.

portal-writer-gen-token-emptyportal-reader-gen-token-success

I'm trying to connect to portal with the writer and getting this same situation. Did you ever work it out? I can use webservice connection to read, but using write generates same Type 3 error message. thank you in advance

Badge +8

I'm trying to connect to portal with the writer and getting this same situation. Did you ever work it out? I can use webservice connection to read, but using write generates same Type 3 error message. thank you in advance

Sorry nothing new to report. I haven't come back to this particular project in awhile.