Question

The result of building extrusion does not represent the shape of the building

• 7 May 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello, I am trying to extrude a set of building footprint layer. The building footprint layer is in a 2D shapefile format. Since the dataset doesn't have building height and base height attributes I tried to extract the elevation and building height from point cloud data using Surface draper. I attached the workaround here:

Capture 

I run the Extruder transformer, but the 3D visualization of the building does not represent how a solid 3D building should look like. The top of the building is not flat and when I click on a feature there are lines inside the building model (seems like it generated multiple edges??). How could I generate a building model that looks somewhat like the Lod1solid building model? What are the correct steps?

3d

1 reply

Badge +1

Hi @rochamukti​, I think the problem is the use of a SurfaceDraper, since your polygons will have several different height values using this approach. Read this article for some useful tips.

You could also try rasterizing your LAS dataset (rasterDEMgenerator) and then sample an average (or min/max) height of the building within that polygon.