Question

FME multipatch - Shading and lighting in ArcGIS Pro

Hi,

I have a multipatch containing buildings in a file based geodatabase (.gdb). I want to be able to replace the geometries and attributes of certain buildings by updating them with buildings from another multipatch based on a unique ID. This is successful but when I load the multipatch into ArcGIS Pro the updated buildings appear grey instead of white. I don't think it is a problem with the appearence stored within the multipatch (I have tried GeometryColorSetter) but rather that ArcGIS Pro doesn't recognize the difference between walls and roofs in the objects written by FME.

When lighting is not enabled all objects appear white

white 

When I enable lighting the object in the middle (written by FME) has grey roof instead of grey walls (shadow) and a white roof as the other buildings have.

grey 

If I edit a multipatch created by FME in ArcGIS Pro the roof becomes white again.

Has anyone encountered this or have an idea for a soultion?

4 replies

Did you find an answer to this?

I'm about to post another question regarding this topic. Basically a Multipatch read and written by FME loses all the individual lighting. I can change the colour of the object in FME (using AppearanceSetter) but not the reflectance that should be there (which allow edges to be determined).

3D software should handle lighting of objects, but basic element level lighting should still exist.

Happy for either a FME or Esri solution.

Did you find an answer to this?

I'm about to post another question regarding this topic. Basically a Multipatch read and written by FME loses all the individual lighting. I can change the colour of the object in FME (using AppearanceSetter) but not the reflectance that should be there (which allow edges to be determined).

3D software should handle lighting of objects, but basic element level lighting should still exist.

Happy for either a FME or Esri solution.

Have you tried 'One-sided Lighting Using Reset Normals' in ArcGIS Pro?

Lighting settings ArcGIS Pro

It has to be a Normals issue, but not sure how to fix the Multipatch in FME or Arc. It's like it has one Normal for the whole element.

In ArcScene the FME appearance (aqua for simplicity) appears like this below.

The source Contractor features in grey are in the same multipatch and have not been touched by fme.imageIn ArcGIS Pro same file gdb multipatch above loads with the default lighting like below (note rounded edges)

imageYes, changing the ArcGIS Pro lighting to "Two Sided Resetting Normals" looks much better

image but I want to fix the multipatch not teach hundreds of stakeholders how to load and display it correctly. I want it to work straight away in Pro, ArcScene, QGIS and any other application.

Can i reset the normals of the multipatch in Esri?

This all makes it difficult to edit subsets of a multipatch, while maintaining the same symbology as the input.

Badge

Hi, I am currently trying to accomplish the same thing -  replace the geometries and attributes of certain buildings by updating them with buildings from another multipatch. Are you able to share the steps you took in your workbench? Also, were you able to solve issues with appearance?