Question

Reading meshes from DGN format

My overall goal is to convert a DGN model to json and OBJ files, which seems to work well for most primitive types of my model (like line segments, arcs, polygons etc.), but not for meshes.

When I inspect the data in FME, the coordinates in IFMEmeshes seem to be off by a couple orders of magnitude, I cannot confirm whether the underlying geometry is still correct and it's just shifted or if the data is completely useless.

I've tested it with both dgn V7 and V8, various parameter sets for the reader and multiple models and the problem remains the same in all cases. As far as I know I'm using the latest stable version of the software on Ubuntu, but according to my colleagues the bug can be reproduced on Windows machines as well.

In Microstation the model is correct and if I export it to an OBJ file I still get the correct geometry, but obviously that way I lose all the additional information from the model regarding the levels etc. If I export the model as DWG in Microstation and then load that in FME it works correctly, but I'd need a solution that converts DGN to OBJ and JSON fully automatically.

In the documentation and the forum I read up somewhat contradictory pieces of information about the topic, like the feature has been finally implemented last year, but then it only has a reader and no writer or that supposedly it only works for DGN V8 and I still saw recent forum entries about problems regarding DGN and IFMEmeshes.

After all, is this use case supposed to work in the latest FME versions? If yes, what is the proper way of doing it?

0 replies

Be the first to reply!