Solved

How an IP and hostname change may affect licensing

Badge +10

We are upgrading to FME 2020 from v2015 in a new server.

We are using a temporary hostname and IP on our new server and as soon as FME Server, FME Desktop and the floating licence server are installed and everything works as it should, we will stop the old server machine and change the IP and hostname on the new server to the old ones.

My concern is how this will affect licensing for both FME Server and Desktop.

As far as I know licenses are tied to hostname so I guess we cannot request licenses until we have changed the hostname. Am I right?

icon

Best answer by andreaatsafe 11 May 2021, 01:10

View original

2 replies

Badge +10

Hi @dms2​ ,

For FME Desktop floating license manager, you can specify the hostname as localhost instead of the hostname so that you do not need to request the license again. However the floating license also is dependent on the MAC address (host ID), you will need to ensure that the MAC address stays the same and does not change. But if you'd prefer to have the license file with the updated hostname, it is simple to request a new license file with the new hostname and host id. Be sure to only have 1 safe.lic file in the FlexServer directory and to restart the FME License Server after placing the new license file in the folder.

For FME Server, the licensing model has changed in FME 2020 from FME 2015. Please see this article for a licensing walkthrough with FME Server. With regards to how FME Server is affected by hostname, the license file is not tied to the hostname, but a machine key stored in a file on the FME Server System Share so should not break when the hostname is changed. That being said, if it did, re-requesting the license through the FME Server Web UI using automatic mode should get you back up and running. Aside from licensing, there are a couple of other changes you’ll need to make on FME Server to point it to the new hostname so please make sure you check out our documentation on Changing the Web Application Server Host Name and Port.

-Andrea

Badge +10

Hi @dms2​ ,

For FME Desktop floating license manager, you can specify the hostname as localhost instead of the hostname so that you do not need to request the license again. However the floating license also is dependent on the MAC address (host ID), you will need to ensure that the MAC address stays the same and does not change. But if you'd prefer to have the license file with the updated hostname, it is simple to request a new license file with the new hostname and host id. Be sure to only have 1 safe.lic file in the FlexServer directory and to restart the FME License Server after placing the new license file in the folder.

For FME Server, the licensing model has changed in FME 2020 from FME 2015. Please see this article for a licensing walkthrough with FME Server. With regards to how FME Server is affected by hostname, the license file is not tied to the hostname, but a machine key stored in a file on the FME Server System Share so should not break when the hostname is changed. That being said, if it did, re-requesting the license through the FME Server Web UI using automatic mode should get you back up and running. Aside from licensing, there are a couple of other changes you’ll need to make on FME Server to point it to the new hostname so please make sure you check out our documentation on Changing the Web Application Server Host Name and Port.

-Andrea

We finally decided to change the IP and hostname on the new server to the old ones and license everything then.

No problem for FME Desktop licensing. Confirmed that the MAC address is the same so I used the old license file, and simply regenerated the host ID file and started the License Server.

For FME Server, simply re requested the license through the FME Server we interface as you suggested. Thanks!