Question

Why a workspace sometimes gets stuck until timeout and other times it quickly gets executed

• 29 April 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a workspace that is run on a daily basis. Its duration is about 6 minutes. Sometimes it gets stuck on the line: Processing base feature(s)... If I compare the logs of a succesfull and failed execution there aren't any different numbers that are about to be processed. There's also no warning of resources, memory etc.. The failed workspace just gets stuck (and stops logging) and after 20 minutes it's timeout (as scheduled). Execution time for both succesfull and failed processes up to the 'Processing base feature(s)...' line is about the same: 5 to 6 minutes.

Does anybody have advice on how and where to look for clues to prevent the workspace getting stuck

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Seems to me like it might be an engine crash - to check start by looking in the Engine Process Monitor log (Resources>logs>engine>current>fmeprocessmonitorengine.log)

If the FME Engine crashes it will try to restart and reprocess the job I think 3 times or so. If there is a crash there this log should catch it.

If you see nothing, I would run this on FME Dekstop, ideally with the exact same data as a job where it gets stuck, and find out where this 'Processing base feature(s)...' line comes from. It's likely related to a feature with unexpected or invalid geometry but it could be anything.

Are the features being processed the same? or does each day have slightly different features? If the features being processed are identical then it sounds like there could be a problem connecting to something? Are you reading a database ot trying to pull data form the web?